Beautiful Shark Teeth Found

loveshack1207

On a recent visit last week (July 4th) to Charleston, S.Carolina, I went fossil hunting on Folly Beach.  I was able to find a large variety of shark teeth that I have been able to id.  This large one and the grouping of teeth I am unsure of.  After researching I believe that it is a great white shark.   The largest one is 2". I would appreciate any thoughts. 

great white 1.jpg

great white 2.jpg

group of great white.jpg

I think these are C. auriculatus.

They all have cusps.

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

IMO Folly Beach may be a bit too young to yield C. auriculatus (But I've never hunted there so I may be incorrect on this). All the teeth with lateral cusplets (those little pointy things next to the blade) could be C. angusteidens and/or C. chubutensis, and the ones without are most likely megalodons.

If you're a fossil nut from Palos Verdes, San Pedro, Redondo Beach, or Torrance, feel free to shoot me a PM!

Mosasaurus_hoffmannii_skull_schematic.png

1 hour ago, Macrophyseter said:

IMO Folly Beach may be a bit too young to yield C. auriculatus (But I've never hunted there so I may be incorrect on this).

Yes ... we generally pull up C. angustidens more than anything else really ....when looking for mega-toothed sharks in these locations. 

Cheers,

Brett