ScottM

Hello,

I returned from Sharktooth Hill (Bakersfield) with a bunch of bone fragments that seem to be mostly whale ribs and unidentifiable fragments. But I did have a few pieces that seemed distinctive enough that I thought someone more knowledgeable than me might be able to recognize. The third one from the top looks very similar to something another member posted (though not identified) - one side looks exactly like driftwood (is this known form STH?) but the other side very different, as shown in the pics. Someday I hope to be on the help-delivering side of the equation in this forum. Until then, much gratitude!

IMG-6223.JPG

IMG-6224.JPG

The second one from top reminds me of a seal phalange

• I found this Informative 2

'Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.'

George Santayana

I think the third one down looks like fish, I am thinking jaw section or part of the head. I have found a few of those.

• I found this Informative 1

5 hours ago, JBMugu said:

I think the third one down looks like fish, I am thinking jaw section or part of the head. I have found a few of those.

Hi Jesse,

Yes, whenever I found a piece like that, it was called a piece of fish skull.  The second bone piece might be the distal end of a metacarpal of Allodesmus, an extinct pinniped perhaps more closely-related to sea lions and seals.  It's tough to ID pieces even when you've dug the STH bonebed off and on for thirty years.

Jess

Thank you very much JBMugu and siteseer for the responses! If that's a fish it must be a pretty big one. Any guesses? Maybe not from that one piece but just large species known to be found at STH perhaps?

Thanks!

Scott

3 hours ago, ScottM said:

Thank you very much JBMugu and siteseer for the responses! If that's a fish it must be a pretty big one. Any guesses? Maybe not from that one piece but just large species known to be found at STH perhaps?

Thanks!

Scott

Scott,

I dont know of anyone identifying fish bones down to the species. Usually they are just labeled bony fish.