Hey fossil folks,

I’ve been very busy lately moving into my new house and planning my wedding (8/9/19 is the big day) so I haven’t had a chance to report on a few recent trips. In the beginning of July I got some nice fossil hunting in...I went to Cole Hill Rd, DSR and Briggs rd but I’ll post the latter at another time if I get the chance. 

This is just a short and sweet trip report for Cole Hill Rd from Friday July 5th. I got out of work slightly early and made the quick 40 minute drive to the site. I hunted from about 545-8pm. 

62C5F820-290E-4FD7-B4BE-28BB4EA78C2D.thumb.jpeg.07877254af5e623fba667d06767092a4.jpeg

I decided I would try to move some overburden and see if the rock was weathered below....I did a lot of work only to struggle moving the rock. Maybe the winter will loosen it up. 

I did end up finding a little spot with rock that was more “movable” and I had a little hot streak of parts and pieces. Nothing articulated but some nice cephalons and pygidiums. 

7BA27D57-4EB7-4702-B70F-B9E0C013C4D9.thumb.jpeg.cf4401a78fe9e727f084156d1d2e9bc8.jpeg

Heres some of the better Cephalons (sorry I missed the scale bar!!)  plus a few body segments I found. The one at the bottom right is probably the best one but is covered by a brach. It looks like I could smack it with a hammer and pop it off but I’m going to wait for better equipment. 

B3C9E30E-B650-4677-89E0-BC754F8006FF.thumb.jpeg.ef19d19ce9e6f8134c1754306a8e19d0.jpeg

I like the detail on this partial cephalon. 

E18A1D75-B4DA-4DCD-812E-997391B2B355.thumb.jpeg.14d4b1c01fdca4eff36d5fb9dea497b8.jpeg

Heres a line up of the better pygidiums I found. I really like the dipleura pygidiums because you can usually see faint evidence where the pygidium used to be more segmented as a juvenile. Kinda neat.

A5086314-8A4C-45D9-9FBE-E194B0585BA8.thumb.jpeg.8707c64c84b9089e6404927d34b10742.jpeg

Can’t ignore the associated fauna....some nice bivalves, a Gastropoda and a small cephalopod. 

That’s it for this trip. I still really want to find that “wow” specimen but I’ll have to pay my dues. It’s a very difficult outcrop to work, at least for me. Glad I found some nice partials, my last trip wasn’t as successful. I ended up going to DSR and Briggs rd the next day on July 6th and did decent. I had a really excellent find at Briggs rd I want to share so as I get the time I’ll try to post my fossil hunt from July 6th. 

Thanks for reading :) 

Al

• I found this Informative 7

Good report, Al!  :) 

Thanks for posting. 

And good luck with the wedding! ;) 

• I found this Informative 1

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Thanks for making time in your busy schedule for a trip report, it is appreciated. Nice finds. Keep up the good work, that "wow" specimen is there somewhere. 

One of the many benefits of getting down and dirty hunting for fossils is the clearing of the mind of all the nagging little stresses of life. I'm glad you were able to get a break from the chores of moving into a new house and the "joys" of wedding planning.  Nice finds too!

Start the day with a smile and get it over with.

Dont worry Al, Cole Hill will give up a nice gift at some point. A little patience and a bit of elbow grease. By the way, when is the " BIG DAY"?

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

Good work, Al. :) You're just softening up the strata in preparation of forcing it to release its treasures. :D 

• I found this Informative 2

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

Very nice haul - those trilo-bits look rather cool :) 

(would love to see the cephalopod stuff you found...)

Also congrats on the "big day"!

-Christian

Opalised fossils are the best: a wonderful mix between paleontology and mineralogy!

Q. Where do dinosaurs study?

A. At Khaan Academy!...

My ResearchGate profile

Good report as always Al! I l enjoy your trip reports and look forward to you posting them. :) 

Some decent finds too! 

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)

@Fossildude19

@Fossilis Willis

@Pagurus

Thanks guys!!!

@Darktooth thanks Dave! The big day is on August 9th in the Buffalo Ny area. It’s starting to get real!

@Kane gosh I hope so lol...really wishing for some serious winter conditions followed by a warming trend...then repeat :) hah. 

@Scylla just lemme know next time your update Gus! I’d love to meet ya there. 

@The Amateur Paleontologist the cephalopods come out kinda like bullets for lack of a better description. The last photo of my associates fauna the cephalopod is all the way on the left. Ill see if I can find my stash and toss up some cephalopods I’ve found a CHR. I kinda packed it all up after I took the photos lol.....first world moving problems ha. 

@FossilNerd thanks for the kind words! It means a lot :) 

@Calico Jack Dude your Christmas dipleura still haunts me haha. That was an awesome find. Next time you go let me know! Maybe I need some of your luck lol. 

4 minutes ago, Al Tahan said:

@Calico Jack Dude your Christmas dipleura still haunts me haha. That was an awesome find. Next time you go let me know! Maybe I need some of your luck lol. 

@Al Tahan will do! I'll be back in CNY at some point in August and maybe for a bit of September. Congrats on the wedding!!

Congratulations Al. Nice finds. I especially like the Actinodesma. Good luck with your wedding and love to see your Briggs Road and DSR finds when you get a chance.