Trilobite Identification #1

crabfossilsteve

As before, hopefully one of the trilobite experts can identify this specimen. This is another unidentified  trilobites I collected from the Ordovician Liberty Hall Formation near Blacksburg, VA many years ago.  It is 2 1/2 inches long.   Since I've been cateloguing my collection, I'm also trying to get some of the unknowns identified. Not sure whether to go Flexi or Gravi.  Let me know what you think.

Thanks

IMG_8241.JPG

This specimen has 11 pygidial axial rings, many more than are described for Flexicalymene or Gravicalymene.  There are no matches in the literature for any similar Sandbian calymenids, most likely making this an undescribed new genus and species. 

• I found this Informative 10

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png

Possible new genus and species?! :default_faint:

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)

Wow, that would be cool and very unexpected.  Thanks for your reviews.  I'll have to see what other specimens I have of it, none are as complete unfortunately.  Do you know of anyone who would potentially be interested in doing a description of this trilobite?  Thanks again Pirana.

Steve