Golden coprolite two?

TheRocksWillShoutHisGlory

In 2014 I saw a post which made me laugh from fossilized6s, it was a pyritized coprolite.  In general I will not keep coprolites, however, this past year I am wondering if I have found some golden poo too.  It feels very strange actually hoping it is not a worm or sea cucumber.

IMG_1328.jpg

I'd like to see more 'chunks' -- it seems too homogeneous. I wouldn't be too quick to call it a coprolite. It may be something else in a very poor state of preservation. Inspection under 10x or better magnification may help. I would label it as Coprolite? with a BIG question mark. It may be sap or some form of slime or even something that has not yet been identified like a moss or bacterial colony . . . . something that may be identified in the future.

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

On 7/17/2019 at 9:30 PM, TheRocksWillShoutHisGlory said:

In general I will not keep coprolites...

You could always send them to me if you don’t want them. I love fossils, even the poopy ones! Lol ;) 

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)

2 hours ago, FossilNerd said:

You could always send them to me if you don’t want them. I love fossils, even the poopy ones! Lol ;) 

I'm a teacher, so the past 3 years I've given each student a fossil.  It helps me manage my collection especially the dozens of jellyfish and broken plant material, and helps with their learning. I guess you could say they take a lot of snarge from me.

35 minutes ago, TheRocksWillShoutHisGlory said:

I'm a teacher, so the past 3 years I've given each student a fossil.  It helps me manage my collection especially the dozens of jellyfish and broken plant material, and helps with their learning. I guess you could say they take a lot of snarge from me.

I was just giving you a hard time. ;)

That's great that you teach and give the kids fossils! :fistbump:  I bet they get a kick out of it, especially the fossilized poo!

Sorry I'm not much help with your ID, wish I was. From the picture it does look pyritized, but I can't say if it's coprolite or not.

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)

Hi,

@Nimravis

Coco

----------------------
OUTIL POUR MESURER VOS FOSSILES : ici

Ma bibliothèque PDF 1 (Poissons et sélaciens récents & fossiles) : ici
Ma bibliothèque PDF 2 (Animaux vivants - sans poissons ni sélaciens) : ici
Mâchoires sélaciennes récentes : ici
Hétérodontiques et sélaciens : ici
Oeufs sélaciens récents : ici
Otolithes de poissons récents ! ici

Un Greg...

Badges-IPFOTH.jpg.f4a8635cda47a3cc506743a8aabce700.jpg Badges-MOTM.jpg.461001e1a9db5dc29ca1c07a041a1a86.jpg

I agree with @Mark Kmiecik , it does have the outward appearance of coprolite and I do see the pyrite crystals, but most coprolites that I come across are more 3 dimensional in that they are not just flat as this piece appears. 

@stats Rich- what do you think?

• I found this Informative 1

9 hours ago, Nimravis said:

I agree with @Mark Kmiecik , it does have the outward appearance of coprolite and I do see the pyrite crystals, but most coprolites that I come across are more 3 dimensional in that they are not just flat as this piece appears. 

@stats Rich- what do you think?

I agree, Ralph.  Get a magnifying lens or loupe.   Can you see some structure or patterns in it?  Quite often coprolites can have other animal bits, scales, etc.  It could be a poorly preserved jellyfish or other blob.

Cheers,

Rich

• I found this Informative 1