Petrified rock fossils from my backyard

HeatherJW

Petrified rock fossils from my backyard, would love some feedback.Petrified rock fossils from my backyard, would love some feedback.Petrified rock fossils from my backyard, would love some feedback.

20190616_223034.jpg

20190616_222936.jpg

Edited by HeatherJW
Adding photos

Ludwigia is correct. 

The top one may be a flint nodule.

'Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.'

George Santayana

Agreed. Cool rocks, but not fossils. ;) 

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)

I have these and more. Will be taking them to someone to verify what they are. Will post the results. Thank you for your feedback but I disagree. 

Definitely take them somewhere for identification if you disagree. Sometimes it’s hard to tell from pictures what something is and having it in hand is always better than a photo. 

That being said, there is a lot of collective knowledge here regarding fossils (and geological knowledge). For our clarification, why do you think these are fossils? Is there something on the rocks themselves that makes you think fossil? Maybe we are missing something. If there is something specific you are looking at on the rock maybe you could take a close up picture with some measurements so we can better help? We can only help based on the pictures and information provided, and so far, all that points to things geological and not fossil. 

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)

Thanks for the photos!...they are some really interesting shapes but I agree with the others that they are not fossil. Could very well be flint/chert and there might be an outside chance some might contain some microscopic fossils but the photos dont seem to show any large fossils/fragments. Yep, let us know if someone who gets to see them in hand has any other thoughts/seems something. I'd still keep them!

Regards, Chris 

• I found this Informative 2

On 7/18/2019 at 7:14 PM, FossilNerd said:

Definitely take them somewhere for identification if you disagree. Sometimes it’s hard to tell from pictures what something is and having it in hand is always better than a photo. 

That being said, there is a lot of collective knowledge here regarding fossils (and geological knowledge). For our clarification, why do you think these are fossils? Is there something on the rocks themselves that makes you think fossil? Maybe we are missing something. If there is something specific you are looking at on the rock maybe you could take a close up picture with some measurements so we can better help? We can only help based on the pictures and information provided, and so far, all that points to things geological and not fossil. 

When I found them they were covered in a less dense layer of rock. I hand sanded them and these were underneath. The top of the one that looks like a dinosaur head is bone. The other that looks like a crocodile head has Crystal's possible opal in the middle and the bottom and top layer originally had a reptile pattern, unfortunately I took my power sander to it so it is not as refined. 

Welcome to the Fossil Forum- I need to get out to Vegas to go trilobite hunting. I agree with the others that these are cool shaped rocks, but I am not seeing any fossils, let us know what you find out.

21 minutes ago, HeatherJW said:

When I found them they were covered in a less dense layer of rock. I hand sanded them and these were underneath. The top of the one that looks like a dinosaur head is bone. The other that looks like a crocodile head has Crystal's possible opal in the middle and the bottom and top layer originally had a reptile pattern, unfortunately I took my power sander to it so it is not as refined. 

Ah... OK. As you say, the hand/power sanding may have taken away some of the finer details. It very well may be those details that we would look for when IDing something. Definitely take them to someone if you can, and see what they say. That person may be able to tell more by having them in hand and being able to take a closer look. Good luck and let us know what you find out! 

Sorry, but nothing to indicate these items are anything more than geological as they are showing nothing indicating fossils. Unusual rocks to be sure but not in any way fossils.

Lots of fossil information archived in this forum and a great wealth of fossil information shared by our membership. Nothing we have seen matches any of our concepts of fossils. We'd love to see any other items you have of interest but so far these have just been oddly shaped rocks that do not represent fossils of any form.

Cheers.

-Ken