Coral (12) from the Campanian St. Bartholomä formation, Styria, Austria (Gosau group, Eastern Alps)

FranzBernhard

First of all:
The book about the Coniacian-Santonian corals of Rußbach-Gosau, Austria, by Löser et al. (2019) is printed. It can be ordered at:

http://www.korallen-kreide.de/index.html

Its a must-have for all people interested in fossil corals!

And: The abridged English version is also ready for download there!

And now to my first application of this important milestone work:

During my searching and digging at point 36 west of Kalchberg, St. Bartholomä, Styria, Austria, at 07/04/2019, I found also a piece of limestone with small, regular voids/holes/tubes. After cleaning at home, some axial ripping was visible in a few of the tubes. Good sign!! Could be another phaceloid coral colony! After cutting it was clear: It is!! And it is in some parts rather well preserved, the best specimen of this type so far.

According to the work above, it seems to belong to the genus Procladocora. Four species of this genus are described for Rußbach-Gosau: P. gracilis, P. aff. exiguis, P. formosa, P. sp. In some corallites, septal insertion of 6 / 6 / 12 can be observed. The maximum outer diameter of the corallites is about 3 mm. This would place this specimen within the species P. gracilis.

But the age is different and the occurrences are geographically about 200 km apart. So it is better to stick to Procladocora sp.

Thanks for looking!
Franz Bernhard

AN_Koralle_AN4208_AN4209_kompr.thumb.jpg.a896bc077a755afa90f4cd48110122b3.jpg

AN_Koralle_AN4209_Detail_kompr.thumb.jpg.b7ca09016bcdbc2c72f4bfea19812e3c.jpg

• I found this Informative 2