Are these fish fossils or any other kind?

anastasis008

Sorry, no fossils there. :unsure: 

• I found this Informative 1

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Well that's sad, I haven't found any fossils and I would really love to, I was sure the first one was some kind of track fossil anyway thank you.

4 hours ago, anastasis008 said:

I haven't found any fossils and I would really love to,

Do not get discouraged, Your first fossil is out there waiting for You!

• I found this Informative 1

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

You can Google what is commonly found in your area. Then you will know what to look for.

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

If you spend some time in Crete, one of our members finds fish there. :) 

Astron

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

16 hours ago, Mark Kmiecik said:

You can Google what is commonly found in your area. Then you will know what to look for.

10 hours ago, Ludwigia said:

Here's a link that could be helpful to you if you're close to the area:

Unfortunately the place I am talking about is Andros island and although I have searched for fossils in this area I haven't found anything, have you heard anything about fossils in this place?

Also I don't know much about geology so I can't read maps, if you happen to find a geological  map and have the time to explain it  especially for the areas near gavrion I would be thankful.

Thank you

Also I don't know much about geology so I can't read maps, if you happen to find a geological  map and have the time to explain it  especially for the areas near gavrion I would be thankful.

Thank you

I've just checked out a geological map of Andros and it looks like the entire island is made up practically of only metamorphic rocks. Fossils are generally to be found in sedimentary rocks, so I'm afraid that your chances of finding any fossils there are pretty minimal. I myself am of course not at all familiar with your island, so if you really want to know, it would probably be best for you to contact a local geologist if there happens to be a natural science museum there.

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

Thank you

Reading a geologic map is fairly straightforward as they tend to be colour-coded. There is an accompanying legend that describes each colour represented as being associated with an age of the deposits and possibly name of the geologic formation. For the sake of providing an example, here is a geological bedrock map of the state of Tennessee. 

In this instance, the map describes the age and type of rock. Keep in mind that this is a bedrock map, which differs from a surficial geological map. In other words, the bedrock map details what rock can be found underneath all the soil, sand, till, scrabble from glacial outwash, and other more relatively recent accumulated sediment. A surficial map will tell you information about terrain / elevations, location of drumlins, etc., so might not be as useful for your purposes.

As far as Gravrio is concerned, assuming you mean as part of the Cyclades and including the town of Andros, it is not likely you will find more than possibly subfossils (remains of organisms less than 50,000 years old) on account of it being an island mostly created through a series of volcanic events. And so mostly metamorphic rocks will be found there, such as schists.

EDIT: As I was typing this, Roger beat me to the punch on the composition, above!

geology_geologic-map-lg.jpg

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

3 hours ago, Kane said:

Reading a geologic map is fairly straightforward

Unless you are color blind. Then they kind of go all sideways. :wacko:

1 minute ago, Rockwood said:

Unless you are color blind. Then they kind of go all sideways. :wacko:

True! Some of the maps do also have numbers in addition to the colours, which helps. The Geological Survey of Canada maps have those (for example, Dundee Fm is on the map and legend as 53a, or something similar).

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer