Help with Megladon Teeth ID

tonycrouch1183

My son received these teeth from an uncle as a gift.  Unfortunately we are unable to contact him for any further information about them.  Any help with an ID on them or perhaps an estimated value (if that's allowed here) would be greatly appreciated.  

Thank you in advance for your time and effort!  If better pictures are needed please advise.

Tooth 1:  (first 5 pics)   Width=12.7cm and length=16.83cm

Tooth 2:  (pics 6-9)   Width=8.9cm and length=10.8cm

Tooth 3:  (last 4 pics)   Width=5cm and length= 7.62cm

DSC05519 (Medium).JPG

DSC05520 (Medium).JPG

DSC05521 (Medium).JPG

DSC05522 (Medium).JPG

DSC05524 (Medium).JPG

DSC05525 (Medium).JPG

DSC05526 (Medium).JPG

DSC05527 (Medium).JPG

DSC05528 (Medium).JPG

DSC05529 (Medium).JPG

DSC05530 (Medium).JPG

DSC05531 (Medium).JPG

DSC05532 (Medium).JPG

We do not allow valuations of fossils, per the Forum Rules and Community Standards. 

"Please understand that The Fossil Forum cannot appraise the commercial value of a fossil; this is beyond what can be done through pictures on the internet, so please don't ask."

Check against similar size/quality at online commercial sites for values. 

• I found this Informative 1

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Hi There,

We don't give valuations on the forum as per the forum rules.  As for the teeth you have 2 rather large Carcharocles megalodon (1 and 2) and a C. hastalis (broad-tooth white shark) (tooth 3), commonly refereed to as a 'mako' by most casual collectors. 

As to the origin, large dark stained teeth like these can be found from Florida to North Carolina in rivers/ocean such as scuba diving the ledges in North Carolina, Venice Beach in Florida etc .... The only thing I can say with some certainty is that the larger meg tooth (tooth 2) has barnacle scars and was probably brought up scuba diving somewhere along the coast. My assumption is the other teeth were collected in the same way (scuba diving) owing to the condition and size, but really that's just speculating.

You can often troll auction sites to see what teeth like this will fetch, and eventually come to an understanding of the market and what buyers will pay.

Cheers,

Brett

@sixgill pete

• I found this Informative 2

Hi Yes tooth # 1 and # 2 are Megalodon teeth but # 3 looks like a Mako tooth and they all look like river teeth. George

8 minutes ago, Mark Kmiecik said:

You don't have to troll. You can just look at the prices.

:zzzzscratchchin:

Haha ! .. so poetic ... peruse ? stroll .. ?

My fishing analogies are quite underused and I felt it appropriate at this time.  Otherwise it just gets so boring no ?

Trolling.jpg.245f111fefdb4fd248c32561f8cb2839.jpg

• I found this Informative 2

3 minutes ago, Brett Breakin' Rocks said:

My fishing analogies are quite underused and I felt it appropriate at this time.  Otherwise it just gets so boring no ?

Oh that is just wrong on so many levels! (Meaning the photo, not what you said.)

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

Thanks everyone for the information and help.  I will troll research the market to see what teeth like these go for!  Thanks for the help and the laughs!  Have a great day everyone!

3 hours ago, tonycrouch1183 said:

Thanks everyone for the information and help.  I will troll research the market to see what teeth like these go for!  Thanks for the help and the laughs!  Have a great day everyone!

Be sure to come back when you can't stay so long!

:zzzzscratchchin: :D

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

:popcorn: John

I had a friend once, but the wheels fell off. Sad, very sad. - Nightwing