Fossils near Houston

Nanosaurus

Hi All,

I will be visiting the Houston Museum of Natural Science in September. While in the area I am wondering about doing some local fossil hunting. Are there areas near Houston anyone would recommend? I am hoping there are some marine Cretaceous deposits nearby. Thanks. :-)

Houstonian here. There are no fossils to be found in the Houston area. There are some Eocene formations near Bryan, College Station at a place called Whiskey Bridge. It's about 1.5 hours or so from Houston. Abundant marine fossils there, mostly gastropods, bivalves, and some shark teeth. Ample info found online. 

For marine Cretaceous deposits, you will have to head towards Austin, San Antonio, Waco or Dallas areas...

You may have some luck in Galveston, if anything has been dredged lately, but that's a big maybe...

• I found this Informative 3

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks facehugger, darn. I will be limited in time to get away from the museum I will be at. But I appreciate the response.

1 hour ago, Wayan Man said:

Thanks facehugger, darn. I will be limited in time to get away from the museum I will be at. But I appreciate the response.

The Houston Natural Science Museum has an outstanding paleo exhibit. You won't be disappointed!

• I found this Informative 1