Monday was an extremely nice one weather wise. I took advantage and visited a small private quarry near Morrisville in Central New York. I've been to this site several times in the past, but the last trip was roughly a year ago. The quarry exposes the Mottville Member of the Middle Devonian Oatkacreek Formation. It is part of the Marcellus Shale which represents the bottom of the Hamilton Group. In terms of fauna it has similarities with the nearby Deep Springs Road and Briggs Road quarry sites which are younger in age. There are also notable differences. 

IMG_4033.JPG

• I found this Informative 11

A lot of fossils can be picked up surface collecting  here. The preponderance of the gastropod, Bembexia sulcomarginata and the brachiopod, Spinocyrtia granulosa masks the diversity of species that are present here. Here are a few Bembexia I picked up, adding to what is already a very large collection from the site. Digging, I also found a small pocket of the tiny gastropod, Palaeozygopleura hamiltoniae. And these are couple nautiloid pieces I found-Michelinoceras: 

IMG_4038.JPG

IMG_4034.JPG

IMG_4037.JPG

• I found this Informative 12

Brachiopods are a notable, if not a predominate feature of most marine Middle Devonian sites. Morrisville is no exception. From the upper left corner (clockwise) Spinocyrtia granulosa, Mucrospirifer mucronatus- found loose lying on the ground, Ambocoelia umbonata, and lastly Protoptostrophia perlplana a Strophomenid. The other three are Spiriferids. 

Probably my over all best find of the day was this Acrotretid inarticulate brachiopod, Orbiculoidea found on the shell of a Spinocyrtina. 

I also found this Spinocytina exposing the interior of the shell, including the muscle scar. 

IMG_4046.JPG

IMG_4043.JPG

IMG_4152.JPG

• I found this Informative 10

A variety of bivalves are another big feature of this location including some that are not found in other formations or sites. Clockwise from the top: Nuculites oblongatus, Paleoneilo filosa, and Goniophora hamiltonensis.The first two are Paleotaxadont bivalves. Goniophora is a Palaeoheterodont. 

For me, one of the prizes of this site is the Pteriomorph bivalve, Gosselettia triqueter which is only found in the Marcellus Shale and I've only seen at two sites, both near Morrisville, including this one. 

IMG_4048.JPG

IMG_4051.JPG

• I found this Informative 9

Here's a couple more photos of a complete specimen. These are usually found as single valves or broken. Complete ones are very uncommon.

I didn't find any conularids or complete crinoids today which are the rarest finds from this site, but still found some decent stuff to add to my collection. That's why I keep returning. 

IMG_4148.JPG

IMG_4150.JPG

• I found this Informative 11

Glad you were able to get out there, Jeff. 

Great finds and report. 

Thanks for showing us. 

Tim    VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM APRIL - 2015  

Vey nice! I was out there the other week and haven't begun IDs yet. This will be helpful when I do.

I refuse to give up my childish wonder at the world.

I'm glad you took advantage of the good weather, Jeff, and got to play in the dirt. As always, thanks for showing us your finds and sharing your knowledge of the site and the wonderful invertebrates you identified for us. I appreciate it.

Start the day with a smile and get it over with.

This is really cool Jeff!! Love the Spinocyrtia those have to be one of my favorite brachs. Thanks for sharing!

Very cool Jeff! Thanks for sharing. I love finds that have those little extras. Like the muscle scar.

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)

Nice finds. Good diversity at that location.

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

On 7/19/2019 at 9:39 AM, Fossildude19 said:

Glad you were able to get out there, Jeff. 

Great finds and report. 

Thanks for showing us. 

Thanks Tim. We'll have to get back there together someday. 

On 7/19/2019 at 9:40 AM, Bguild said:

Nice haul! Those Gastropods are sweet.

Thanks. Bembexia are super abundant there and nice ones can be picked up off the ground. Palaeozyglopleura take a bit more searching. My best specimens of both species are from this site. 

On 7/19/2019 at 9:42 AM, I_gotta_rock said:

Vey nice! I was out there the other week and haven't begun IDs yet. This will be helpful when I do.

Thanks. Love to see what you found. 

On 7/19/2019 at 10:48 AM, Pagurus said:

I'm glad you took advantage of the good weather, Jeff, and got to play in the dirt. As always, thanks for showing us your finds and sharing your knowledge of the site and the wonderful invertebrates you identified for us. I appreciate it.

You're welcome Mike. Till the next time we collect together. Hopefully soon. 

On 7/19/2019 at 10:57 AM, FossilDAWG said:

Very nice preservation of those bivalves! :wub:  Also the gastropods! :wub:

Don

Thanks Don. Glad to see there are others that are bivalve and gastropod fans. 

On 7/19/2019 at 12:28 PM, Monica said:

I, too, love the gastropods :wub:

Glad you appreciate those. This is my favorite site for those two particular species. 

On 7/19/2019 at 4:19 PM, Darktooth said:

As always, great finds Jeff!

Thanks Dave. 

On 7/19/2019 at 5:22 PM, Al Tahan said:

This is really cool Jeff!! Love the Spinocyrtia those have to be one of my favorite brachs. Thanks for sharing!

Thanks Al. Most of my best Spinos came from this site. They are extremely plentiful there and you find a lot of well preserved individuals just lying out in the open.  

• I found this Informative 1

On 7/19/2019 at 8:38 PM, FossilNerd said:

Very cool Jeff! Thanks for sharing. I love finds that have those little extras. Like the muscle scar.

Thanks. Finding the interior of a Spinocyrtia shell was actually a first for me. It was very cool to add that to my already large collection of this species. 

@Jeffrey P, Just posted my own finds from Hubbardsville. See if you recognize any of my mysteries?

I refuse to give up my childish wonder at the world.