Peat Burns

Does anyone know what part of the crinoid this element is?  Is there enough there to assign a genus?

It is 6-sided, and each side has a concavity.  Pictured are top, bottom, and one side view. Scale in mm. Location & geological context in tags.

20190719_135750.thumb.jpg.a73bddf14fc20f3a319e35ab51471a08.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

3 hours ago, Peat Burns said:

It is 6-sided, and each side has a concavity.

Looks five-sided to me, but I'm not very familiar with the new math. :heartylaugh:

Sorry, I just couldn't let that one get away. No disrespect intended, and I hope none taken.

• I found this Informative 2

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

39 minutes ago, Mark Kmiecik said:

Looks five-sided to me, but I'm not very familiar with the new math. :heartylaugh:

Sorry, I just couldn't let that one get away. No disrespect intended, and I hope none taken.

Actually, you make a good observation.  Apparently I can't count.  It's 7-sided.  5 (not 4, as I incorrectly implied) lateral attachment points (for the cirri) plus the upper and lower attachment points of the stalk columnals.

50 minutes ago, Peat Burns said:

Actually, you make a good observation.  Apparently I can't count.  It's 7-sided.  5 (not 4, as I incorrectly implied) lateral attachment points (for the cirri) plus the upper and lower attachment points of the stalk columnals.

If you turn it upside-down that will make the upside a downside and the downside an upside, giving you two more sides for a total of 9, plus the original up and down and that gets us to 11, and if you order a hashplate on the side, then 12. And of course, I'm on your side so the grand total is 13. Hey, that's a new species, isn't it? :D

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!