Petrified Wood

jnicholes

Hello,

So, I am doing an interesting experiment involving Petrified Wood. I am taking petrified wood and looking at it under a magnifier. I am also taking non fossilized dead wood and looking at it under a magnifier

Basically, I am comparing Petrified wood to living wood. I am doing this to see the similarities and the differences between living plants and plant fossils. I am a gardener, its another hobby of mine, and I am curious about the differences and similarities.

I have some interesting data so far. According to my observations, there are not a lot of differences between the Petrified wood and the Living wood as far as the grain direction and the rings go. I used a magnifier setting to look at the grains.  It may look weird, but it was the best way for me to get an idea of what the grains and rings looked like. Attached are the pictures.

I also noticed that the grains and rings are farther apart in the petrified wood. There may be a reason for that. I am looking into it.

I just wanted to share this experiment. If anyone has input about the experiment or additional data, please feel free to post it.

If you want color photos, I will get them.

Jared

Living wood top.jpg

Living wood side.jpg

Petrified wood Top.jpg

Petrified Wood Side.jpg

Neat project.

Your samples will have different characteristics dependent on species, age, position on plant (trunk, root or limb), growth rate (drought or flood{?}) and state of preservation.

The thickness of the annual rings will be affected by the growth rate of the plant. Wet years produce more growth and wider rings, drought years produce thinner growth rings.

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.

Thank you for pointing that out. Regardless of the variables you mentioned, like growth rate, species, etc, there are still many similarities! It's amazing how there are so many similarities and so many differences in living wood and petrified wood.

I'm still analyzing, and will let you know if I find more details.

Jared

More Details.

Looking at the wood and the petrified wood, I noticed that the Petrified Woods rings and the rings of the living wood have many differences. The rings are very different.

A Paleontologist I met in Salt Lake City, Utah, a long time ago told me that, (I am not sure if I remember correctly,) the area I live in, Southwest Idaho, was once a large prehistoric river.

This petrified wood, found IN Southwestern Idaho, shows evidence of that with the way its rings formed. The rings formed as if there was a long growing season and possibly high humidity if it was near a river. This is only a theory.

Prehistoric growing zones were WAY different from todays growing zones. I live in growing zone 6a-7. Growing zone 6a-7 was WAY different in prehistoric times.

This is what I found so far. If anyone wants to add some details I may have missed or made mistakes on, feel free to add them.

Jared

17 minutes ago, jnicholes said:

More Details.

Looking at the wood and the petrified wood, I noticed that the Petrified Woods rings and the rings of the living wood have many differences. The rings are very different.

A Paleontologist I met in Salt Lake City, Utah, a long time ago told me that, (I am not sure if I remember correctly,) the area I live in, Southwest Idaho, was once a large prehistoric river.

This petrified wood, found IN Southwestern Idaho, shows evidence of that with the way its rings formed. The rings formed as if there was a long growing season and possibly high humidity if it was near a river. This is only a theory.

Prehistoric growing zones were WAY different from todays growing zones. I live in growing zone 6a-7. Growing zone 6a-7 was WAY different in prehistoric times.

This is what I found so far. If anyone wants to add some details I may have missed or made mistakes on, feel free to add them.

Jared

I don't believe any environment in prehistoric times would stay the same for millions of years considered how much the earth changed since then. The west wasn't as dry as it is now etc. Neat project though.

Yes, I actually agree with you. Growing zones back then were very different than growing zones now. Earth is changing constantly,  so naturally, environments change. The plant would be different back then.

You are correct. There is no way that an environment would stay the same for millions of years.

It is a neat project! Thanks for your input! I appreciate it!

Jared

• I found this Informative 1

22 hours ago, jnicholes said:

There is no way that an environment would stay the same for millions of years.

Check out the history of the Atacama desert.

Darwin said: " Man sprang from monkeys."

Will Rogers said: " Some of them didn't spring far enough."

My Fossil collection - My Mineral collection

My favorite thread on TFF.