Geological or Fossil?

Bone Daddy

This came in a big box of mixed fossils. This is an orphan without a label or bag. It looks interesting, like a cross-section of something in the rock matrix. The object is circular in profile and cone or tooth shaped. There appears to be more than one of them, but the other is still partially obscured by matrix. Is this a mineralized fossil of some sort, or is this just a strange geological specimen that got mixed in?

Could this be some kind of stromatolite?

I wish I had some locality info on it, but I don't.

Any help would be appreciated.

stal-1.JPG

stal-2.JPG

stal-3.JPG

I think, the geological term might be excluded, considering it's not  something like a cone-in-cone structure or similar.

Diagenetical processes may show their representatives and could be against us, of course.

My first thought was a rostral segment of a large belemnoid including the phragmocone, which was exposed to a hard geological transverse stress. :headscratch:

I could be wrong, so please wait other opinions. :)

• I found this Informative 2

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

It's very curious. Somebody obviously cut it, which makes me wonder where the other half is (it's not here). The shape of the inclusion is suggestive (to me) of being biological - like a belemnite or something. I recall seeing fossils shaped in this manner, but the composition seems entirely crystalline in nature, which is odd to me.

The consensus in another group seems to be belemnite rostrum. After doing some more searching around, I think this mystery is solved.  :)

20 hours ago, abyssunder said:

My first thought was a rostral segment of a large belemnoid including the phragmocone

Makes sense to me.

Start the day with a smile and get it over with.