Unidentified Oligocene... Something

Littoral J

I found this in a Benton county crumbly fossil rich road cut that I'm fairly sure is Oligocene based upon the other fossils present.

Other fossils are all aquatic and includes a lot of clams (Pitar) and a few snails (Siphonalia, Neverita)

The fossil in question appears to have been a hollow tube that's been broken open, but I'm unsure if that's actually the case or if the end is simply folded in a way to give that illusion. I initially called it a bone in my excitement, but now I could see it as being plant matter of some kind.

This is kind of a shot in the dark, as I'm unsure if it could even be identified based on such a vague fossil.

Edit: It's about 2 inches or 5-6 centimeters

20190719_161723.jpg

Edited by Littoral J

33 minutes ago, Rockwood said:

Carbonized wood/ lignite .

That's interesting. Wood hadn't actually crossed my mind because of it being entombed within the surrounding stone. I'm used to finding wood isolated, but that makes sense.

Yep, any time you see carbonization it's a good indication of plant material.

Where is Benton Co.? Can we see your clams/snails, have you shown them anywhere else on the Forum?

I forgot to mention that you should keep a close eye on this material as it dries. Some of it has a tendency to self destruct and must be stabilized with glue. 

It does look like plant matter. It may have been a hollow reed, which would explain any tube-like features. Or maybe not. Hard to tell from just that one photo.

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!