Unknown fossil Montana

bcfossilcollector

Hi. Forgot to include text. This particular fossil bone was found in Montana near the Alberta border in depositions that are Cretaceous in age. Bone measures about 6 inches in length. Thought to be dinosaur but I really do not know as regards this specimen. @Troodon @jpc

• I found this Informative 1

@Troodon thanks for the id. I suspected it wasn’t dinosaur. Much appreciated. 

17 hours ago, Troodon said:

Its a rib from a Champsosaurus

What are the defining characteristics? I'm not questioning the ID, just trying to understand what makes it Champosaurus. (I'm clueless beyond 'It's a bone'.)

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

32 minutes ago, Mark Kmiecik said:

What are the defining characteristics? I'm not questioning the ID, just trying to understand what makes it Champosaurus. (I'm clueless beyond 'It's a bone'.)

Its not Champosaurus but Champsosaurus.  Champsosaurus material is found routinely in the Hell Creek Fm so Im pretty familar with lots of its bones even though this one from a different fauna.    I do have literature that initially helped me understand and identify its bones.  Ribs of this critter have a slight curvature with squared off ends.  

7 & 8 are dorsal ribs.

Screenshot_20190720-151026.thumb.jpg.9201fc8f6ec21eec0b341adc0962acab.jpg

• I found this Informative 4

So it's primarily frequent exposure after you do the initial research, I guess? I suppose it also helps to be familiar with the site in question.

I'm always impressed by how some people can just look at a bone and identify it almost immediately. I think it will take me some time yet before I can see the subtle differences among them. I can usually tell which bone it is, but not the animal it's from. Trying to shorten my learning curve.

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

I'm glad troodon got to this one before I did.  We get so few champsosur bones other than verts in WY, that I am quite unfamiliar with them.  Yes, Mark, frequent exposure is the best.  I do have a few, but they are form MT, not WY.  

• I found this Informative 1