Greg.Wood

Here is a Corocrinus calypso I found in the south pit at Hungry Hollow last fall (southern Ontario, Canada, Devonian age). In the past these were a common find in the Arkona formation, but access to the productive outcrops is becoming rare. I stumbled upon this one on top of the northern end of the pit. Sitting there in ten pieces and eroding away, I was lucky to have found it before it turned to dust. The matrix is more solid than the usual clay which makes up the Arkona so I believe it was weathering out of a concretion.

I glued the bits that obviously fit together and it ended up in a box with my other Arkona keepers.

_16C7927.9.thumb.JPG.eaaf1a5761f62fbb8a4749b79361ea06.JPG

Two weeks ago I was looking through the collection and decided to prep one of the nicer chunks. After messing around for an hour or so I realized that everything fit together into one piece. Cool!

There are some gaps as the edges are worn but I'll take it.

_16C7928.thumb.JPG.84356619b6a54ae62a8be0c4ca0672e7.JPG

Most of my prep experience has been on E. rana from Penn Dixie which are usually quite sturdy and forgiving (I'm not very patient but luckily have not ruined a fossil yet). With this probably being my favourite find to date, it was time to turn down the psi and take my time.

I think it is coming along nicely after seven or eight hours of work. Planning to spend another seven hours on it this week to finish it off. Not a lengthy prep for some, but certainly my longest so far.

_16C7929.thumb.JPG.e2480eef30b065a3fa441af003c463f1.JPG

_16C7940.thumb.JPG.84a34d67129dda751cf19cc1c8d58a0f.JPG

• I found this Informative 4

Nice find and Prep!

It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt

-Mark Twain

Very nice! :drool:

I'm glad you are taking your time with this one. Beautiful! :envy:

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)

:wub: :wub: :wub:

You are doing a great job on those exquisite crinoids.

I have some (mostly Arthrocantha) I collected years ago.  They are still awaiting prepping when I get the equipment and the nerve.  I don't want to screw them up as I know they would be very hard to replace.

Don

Heads and tails -- it's a keeper.

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!