Bone, branch or other

Riverrun

Supposedly these came from the Missouri River valley in central South Dakota.  One old timer says he was told they are petrified bones.    They are very solid and high strength.   Somewhat symmetrical on the longitudinal axis. Sandstone appearance on surface.  What are these, any ideas?

EB930E06-3D36-419C-BF83-A0357CEE1E07.jpeg

15F1E3E6-CD39-426D-9891-C5E9B35A1364.jpeg

2F4A5B78-4FF0-4420-A26A-4702DE8FC0AD.jpeg

81DC28C6-CBA9-474F-B936-A5D7A557D3E3.jpeg

552C266F-373D-4C69-94DB-FB0D3CCC9133.jpeg

These looks very geologic.  Perhaps unfilled cracks of a higher resistant rock and have weathered out of the softer country rock.

Definately not bone of any kind.

From the looks of their surroundings, I think they were brought in.

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

They are not bones. I don't see any features that are normally present in preserved bones and they're the wrong shape. They are interestingly weathered rocks and their origin is worth investigating. The one with the 'ridge' is intriguing. 

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

Akin, i think, to Loess Kinchen, geologic features found in loess soils. Usually smaller, they can take fantastical shapes (hence the name, which means "Little Loess Children").

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

I could be way off base with this one but does anyone think that looks like an ammonite keel sticking out in the second and third pictures?

5 hours ago, Rayminazzi said:

I could be way off base with this one but does anyone think that looks like an ammonite keel sticking out in the second and third pictures?

By George! You've got a point there.

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

19 hours ago, Rayminazzi said:

That part caught my attention also -- ammonite keel is a good suspect. If these are large concretions, I wonder what else may lurk inside.

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

Thanks for the feedback.  These are very interesting specimens.   I agree that the two pieces do appear geological, but the ridges, symmetry and strength are very intriguing.  Here are a few more pictures of the shorter specimen, it also has ridges.  Any other thoughts are welcome...

5A116D31-E275-4CAA-8577-D6C9E90FA116.jpeg

F49B86E2-4C8C-4BDA-84FB-573310D4BDAC.jpeg

AD444DA9-6D25-4874-84C6-10C61C783ECA.jpeg