Sign in to follow this  
Misha

What are some good sites in NY to find triarthrus and Dipleura trilobites?

Misha

I have been looking for places to find Paleozoic fossil nearby and New York seems to have a great amount of them, including the trilobites mentioned above, eurypterids, cephalopods brachiopods and all of those lovely invertebrates. I wanted to visit Penn Dixie later this month but got a good opportunity to do so this week, so now I have some time opened up that I would like to spend exploring other sites in NY.

The only problem with this is that I have not found many places where I could do so, I have heard of Deep Springs road and another site that has a lot of triarthrus trilobites but these are private and would likely not be accessible to me.

Are there any sites our members here would recommend? I would love some Dipleuras and Triarthrus but am interested in many other Paleozoic invertebrates as well.

Thank you very much,

Misha.

Kane

Deep Springs Road is not restricted. Of course, Dipleura are never easy to find complete there (or anywhere). 

Mediospirifer

To expand on what Kane said, DSR is privately owned, by a person who does not mind having fossil hunters come and collect. We've had some large groups there, and (from what I understand) as long as collectors respect the site and don't leave trash there, permission to collect is likely to continue.

Misha

Now does anyone know where I could go to find Triarthrus? I have heard of them being in the Utica shales but not sure where I can go where it would be exposed.

Kane

You could try your luck around Little Falls, but I've heard much of it has been posted as no trespassing. Alternatively, there may be some minor exposures on Route 28 anywhere along the West Canada Creek. 

Darktooth

@Misha Cole Hill Road and Deep Springs Road both produce Dipleura. I am leading a field trip for my local club to Deep Springs Saturday July 27. You are welcome to join us if you wish. There is only a few of us going that have confirmed. Actually any forum members are welcome to meet up with us. 

Dave

Misha
1 hour ago, Darktooth said:

@Misha Cole Hill Road and Deep Springs Road both produce Dipleura. I am leading a field trip for my local club to Deep Springs Saturday July 27. You are welcome to join us if you wish. There is only a few of us going that have confirmed. Actually any forum members are welcome to meet up with us. 

Dave

Thank you for the offer, but at the moment I don't think I will be able to make it.