cngodles

I love and hate finding large fossils. They are really interesting and striking to look at, but I have a hard time getting an ID on them.

I dug a huge piece of limestone out of the hill and split it into three with a sledge hammer. After the heat this weekend, they were easy to pick apart. Yesterday, out popped this piece. There is another one I found today that I will be posting after this one.

This piece has several wavy ridges. The shell material looks pearly, and perhaps some calcite replacement has happened. There was a piece of shell stuck on the mold portion as well. I'm seeing about 6 distinct ridges. Anyone know what it might be?

Before I removed it from the rock:

77AF5E2E-719F-47FE-9655-2B18C31DD40B.jpe

DB168445-F91E-4FD8-A681-66CD8DABB174.jpe

Several views after removing, trying to show the ridges:

B503DECF-B0C5-4186-8BCD-AEF81041F5EF.jpe

91495F76-946B-4D22-ACC5-DEC505D6E244.jpe

1E1DBC66-B677-454F-B88B-39225B975869.jpe

3624CC74-C4C1-4C9F-B9AA-DD4DEAAFF4EC.jpe

C09B5F80-11CB-468E-9F18-A924C4C3FF40.jpe

Fossils of Parks Township - ResearchCatalog | How-to Make High-Contrast Photos

This one tickles a memory from my distant past....  Mollusk.  Let me dig on this one too

'Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.'

George Santayana

From what I'm reading, Carboniferous Oysters are small, so I'll say Mollusk as well. I went though the Index Fossils of North America and tried to find a match, but most things were Triassic to Cretaceous.

Fossils of Parks Township - ResearchCatalog | How-to Make High-Contrast Photos

1 hour ago, cngodles said:

From what I'm reading, Carboniferous Oysters are small, so I'll say Mollusk as well. I went though the Index Fossils of North America and tried to find a match, but most things were Triassic to Cretaceous.

Both clams and oysters belong to phylum Mollusca, class Bivalvia. 

Im afraid I don’t have any suggestions on a possible identification for you but the link here will take you to the digital atlas of ancient life which may be helpful.