Matching the coloration of a woolly rhino skull?

SimpleCollector100

I am interested in getting a woolly rhino skull.

I found one but the colorations are slightly off since they are from two different animals. Is it difficult to have the colors match? Maybe with some type of staining that wouldn't be too hard and degrade/damage the actual bone?  Or is whitening a better approach?

Thank you

5d342d6bb338a_ScreenShot2019-07-21at2_16_04AM.thumb.png.436f471e0ce7aae7b074b1c3cf07b2b8.png

If you feel this is something you have to do, I feel it would be easier to darken the lower mandible than to lighten the entire upper skull.

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

I feel that if I did get this skull I would leave it as is but I was mainly curious about the technique used in fossils.

Is it tea/coffee staining? Just paint?

Thanks

Quite frankly, I wouldn't touch it.

Many of us take great pains to remove the coloring that some people have added to "enhance" the items look.

You already know the two pieces are not from the same individual, why try to cover the fact?

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

3 hours ago, SimpleCollector100 said:

Is it tea/coffee staining? Just paint?

I got a Moroccan dino tooth that the seller had stained with strong coffee to make it have a solid deep dark brown color. It always reeked of coffee! 

All it took was a damp cloth to wipe away the "make-up" and in my opinion it looks much better with the natural crazing and color wear variations.

• I found this Informative 2

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

Also the darker color of the upper is partially due to residual mud. A good microblasting, and I feel the colors would be closer. Also, if the upper teeth were cleaned they would be a better match.

On 7/24/2019 at 4:51 AM, steelhead9 said:

Also the darker color of the upper is partially due to residual mud. A good microblasting, and I feel the colors would be closer. Also, if the upper teeth were cleaned they would be a better match.

What is used to clean the teeth?

I dont have the setup to do this so I would probably want to find someone near California Bay Area if I did get this so I wouldn't have to ship it.

Thanks for the info