Pls. help me ID this-Is it fossilized coral geode?

Linda Philomena

This was from my Grandpa’s collection of ocean treasures. I think it is some sort of fossilized coral conglomeration, as I also see what looks like bits of shell. It weighs about two pounds. It also looks like a geode, but I always thought geodes were from the earth, not the sea. Any help you can give me would be appreciated!

859C783A-FBE5-4BBC-ACBB-DCC1A71ECAFA.jpeg

0E7A2029-2A29-43C2-A792-D0C2C900CB96.jpeg

E35B19DD-D6DB-40D2-8705-035BDC80A09D.jpeg

The first side looks like botryoidal  chalcedony. I'm not sure how to explain the other side, but somehow I doubt that it's coral.

You do have a silicified piece of coral with a hollow botryoidal chalcedony center. Note the septa on the colonial coral in the last photo. It is a very nice piece. The calcite coral dissolved away leaving a space that was filled with chalcedony. It is a coral cast.

• I found this Informative 3

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

3 hours ago, Rockwood said:

The first side looks like botryoidal  chalcedony. I'm not sure how to explain the other side, but somehow I doubt that it's coral.

Thank you!

3 hours ago, DPS Ammonite said:

You do have a silicified piece of coral with a hollow botryoidal chalcedony center. Note the septa on the colonial coral in the last photo. It is a very nice piece. The calcite coral dissolved away leaving a space that was filled with chalcedony. It is a coral cast.

You have been a HUGE help! Thank you for sharing your knowledge and expertise. I really appreciate it. 

Very nice specimen.

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

Very cool! Your grandpa had a good eye for treasure! :) 

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)

28 minutes ago, FossilNerd said:

Very cool! Your grandpa had a good eye for treasure! :) 

Thanks!

41 minutes ago, Reebs said:

It looks like the agatized coral we get here in the Tampa Bay region.  That’s a beauty!

Thank you!

On 7/22/2019 at 2:54 AM, Linda Philomena said:

This was from my Grandpa’s collection of ocean treasures. I think it is some sort of fossilized coral conglomeration, as I also see what looks like bits of shell. It weighs about two pounds. It also looks like a geode, but I always thought geodes were from the earth, not the sea. Any help you can give me would be appreciated!

859C783A-FBE5-4BBC-ACBB-DCC1A71ECAFA.jpeg  0E7A2029-2A29-43C2-A792-D0C2C900CB96.jpeg   E35B19DD-D6DB-40D2-8705-035BDC80A09D.jpeg

Beautiful piece!

Look up "Tampa Bay Coral" or "Caloosahatchee Fossil Coral" on Google.  You'll see lots of examples. I must say, yours is one of the better ones I've seen!

• I found this Informative 1

'Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.'

George Santayana

1 hour ago, Bobby Rico said:

Nice specimen, I wonder if our friend my be able to help @TqB 

Not much, apart from agreeing it looks like a Tampa Bay one. Fine example!

• I found this Informative 1

Tarquin