Fossilized shark tooth found on Edisto island, SC

Amnamch

I found my first shark tooth on edisto island in South Carolina yesterday! I’ve been researching to try to figure out what kind it is, because it’s like nothing I’ve ever seen, but can’t find anything quite like it on my own. The closest I could find was “megalolamna paradoxodon” and have attached a picture of that as well. It’s very similar, but not quite like it. Thanks in advance for your help, I’m extremely interested and excited to figure this out!!

E8FCA853-5AD1-497B-BA32-3453BBC99E7C.jpeg

A5D8472F-513F-4D96-B85E-970766B9A527.jpeg

E70F7465-D172-4AE9-8090-06E2D56A046A.png

Your tooth is one of the sand tigers, most likely Carcharias. Your tooth has an eroded root and the side cusps are missing.

• I found this Informative 4

Agreed on the ID.

It's a pretty spectacular find for your first fossil shark tooth. Sand tiger teeth are very well suited to a bit of wire-wrapping around the root which will turn this into a great item to hang off a necklace. Do an internet image search for "wire wrap shark tooth" and you'll find lots of examples and even instructions on how to do it. You don't even need the expense of gold or silver wrapping wire as more inexpensive metals still make for nice necklace pendants.

Welcome to the forum. You are located in a great part of the country for hunting fossils (especially shark teeth). There is lots of information to be found here on the forum--hope you stick around and absorb some knowledge. ;)

Cheers.

-Ken

• I found this Informative 1