Greenops from Hungry Hollow

Monica

Hello again!

I have one more ID request (for now :P). 

I received this Greenops as a gift, but I think I deleted the email which stated the exact location/formation information - does anyone recognize the matrix that it's on?  And is it G. widderensis or is it G. arkonensis?  I have a document stating that these two species have been found at Hungry Hollow (near Arkona, Ontario, Canada; mid-Devonian in age) - are there two different Greenops species found at Hungry Hollow or only one (widderensis)?  Thanks so much!

Monica

I'll tag @Kane and @middevonian for this one :)

DSC00428.thumb.JPG.7dcf67296b6f2af027a2708625bdf8aa.JPGDSC00429.thumb.JPG.bd2c960d5a20383faa29d5966dafdec2.JPG

Just now, Kane said:

G. widderensis.

Thanks, Kane!

Do you by any chance recognize the matrix?  The document you gave me a couple of years ago states that G. widderensis occurs in both the Hungry Hollow Formation and the Widder Formation - I'm just wondering if I can narrow it down to one of the two formations...

And this is classic Widder shale matrix as could be found on the high north and south banks. Just an FYI, the Hungry Hollow is now a member of the Widder Fm. 

• I found this Informative 3

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

1 minute ago, Kane said:

And this is classic Widder shale matrix as could be found on the high north and south banks. Just an FYI, the Hungry Hollow is now a member of the Widder Fm. 

Thanks once again, Kane!!! 

My pleasure. We spent a lot of summers excavating in the Widder. The Stumm and Wright articles are largely out of date now, so one hopes an updated faunal list will be forthcoming!

• I found this Informative 2

Greenops arkonensis is now placed in the genus Stummia.  Although both Stummia arkonensis and Greenops widderensis occur in the Widder, S. arkonensis is much rarer than G. widderensis.   Although I don't recall off the top of my head the features that distinguish the two species, your specimen seems to me to be identical to the common G. widderensis.  Note that I use "common" in a relative sense, as complete G. widderensis (even lacking an eye) are not all that common.

Don

29 minutes ago, FossilDAWG said:

Greenops arkonensis is now placed in the genus Stummia.  Although both Stummia arkonensis and Greenops widderensis occur in the Widder, S. arkonensis is much rarer than G. widderensis.   Although I don't recall off the top of my head the features that distinguish the two species, your specimen seems to me to be identical to the common G. widderensis.  Note that I use "common" in a relative sense, as complete G. widderensis (even lacking an eye) are not all that common.

Don

Stummiana arkonensis

Lieberman, B.S., & Kloc, G.J. (1997)
Evolutionary and biogeographic patterns in the Asteropyginae (Trilobita, Devonian) Delo, 1935.
Bulletin of the American Museum of Natural History 232:1-127

Excerpt:

Characters suggesting exclusion of species assigned to Stummiana from the Greenops clade include: the condition of the anteriormost portion of the palpebrum, which is opposite the PMI in Stummiana but opposite a point between the medial part of L3 and the PMI in Greenops; the fixigena, which has a distinct bulge medially in Stummiana but is evenly sloping from the axial furrow to the palpebrum in Greenops. (p. 105).