Monica

Hi everyone!!!

I had the afternoon to myself today because William and Viola are at day camps this week and my husband was busy, so I decided to check out Mimico Creek (Georgian Bay Formation, Upper Ordovician) by myself for a couple of hours.  I didn't make many finds, but the finds I did make were super-amazing (by my standards, anyway :P).

As I was walking along the creek when I first arrived, I was checking out the wall of rock when I noticed a pattern:

DSC00430.thumb.JPG.22f96cb950737967145f189ad08e988d.JPG

After gently prying out the rock, this is what I found:

DSC00431.thumb.JPG.e17b42944da30103a37a83a301324400.JPG

Hooray!!!!!!!!!!  My first Flexicalymene granulosa!!!!!!!!!!  For those of you who have read my trip reports and ID requests in the past, especially when I first started fossil-hunting in 2016, I always went out hoping to find a trilobite, and today I succeeded!!!!!!!!!!

I then spent about an hour mucking about, not finding much, when I decided to hammer a big slab of rock that had some worn bivalves on the surface.  Lo and behold, hidden underneath that layer of rock was the most beautiful Treptoceras crebriseptum orthoconic nautiloid that I had ever seen!!!!!!!!!!

DSC00433.thumb.JPG.b512c7aad1a2044c99bdaea6a6739722.JPG

The bottom part of the fossil doesn't appear to have septal divisions, and it's a little flatter than the rest of the fossil - could it be the living chamber?!?!?!

I cannot believe my luck today - this has been my best day of fossil-hunting in the Toronto area in the past 3 years!!!!!!!!!!  I'm so excited!!!!!!!!!!  I do have to play it cool at home, though - I don't want Viola to be disappointed that she missed out (I haven't yet told her what I did today - it'll be a secret for a while).

@JUAN EMMANUEL @Wrangellian @Ludwigia @Malcolmt - I thought you might like to see :)

• I found this Informative 25

4 minutes ago, FossilDAWG said:

Either one of those would have made my day! :wub:

Don

Thanks, Don - today has pretty much made my whole summer!  And perhaps fall, winter, and spring, too! :D

4 minutes ago, Malcolmt said:

Very nice...looks like you had a good day out

Thanks, Malcolm - it was indeed a good day out!

• I found this Informative 1

Congratulations, Monica! Perseverance finally pays off! Your eyes are getting better and the right portion of luck cut in as well. You definitely should try to follow that horizon where the trilobite was. Maybe there are a few more in there.

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

Nice finds.

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

37 minutes ago, Ludwigia said:

Congratulations, Monica! Perseverance finally pays off! Your eyes are getting better and the right portion of luck cut in as well. You definitely should try to follow that horizon where the trilobite was. Maybe there are a few more in there.

Thanks, Roger!!!   I will admit that after I found the trilobite, I scanned the same level in the rock wall for as far as I could go, but no other trilobites were to be seen.  But now that I know for sure that they're there, I'll definitely keep looking!!!

16 minutes ago, Mark Kmiecik said:

Nice finds.

Thanks, Mark!

• I found this Informative 2

Way to go, Monica! 

Happy for you. :) 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Just now, Fossildude19 said:

Way to go, Monica! 

Happy for you. :) 

Thanks, Tim! :)

Hey, nice finds, I do likee!

Yeah, you're going to have to find a way to break it softly to Viola that you went out by yourself and scored big.. Good luck!  :default_rofl:

Spectacular finds!!! I'm bubbling with excitement about that nautiloid.

Can't be luck..you must have good instincts.

Very good day out! Love the nautiloid!!! :wub:

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)

Wow super cool, I have an almost identical looking one from the Humber river a couple years back take a look:

image.png.f67b3688b20200303033fda80a5bb2ed.png

• I found this Informative 2

-

6 hours ago, Monica said:

beautiful Treptoceras crebriseptum orthoconic nautiloid

DSC00433.thumb.JPG.b512c7aad1a2044c99bdaea6a6739722.JPG

:drool:

Monica- great finds and a great report- now you need to go back tomorrow and grab what you missed. :thumbsu:

10 hours ago, Wrangellian said:

Hey, nice finds, I do likee!

Yeah, you're going to have to find a way to break it softly to Viola that you went out by yourself and scored big.. Good luck!  :default_rofl:

I think I may never tell Viola about my outing and finds from yesterday - I think I'll just put them in my display cabinets and never mention it to her... :ninja:

Or, perhaps I should tell her because it'll probably light a fire that won't stop until she finds something equally amazing, which is good news for me since that would mean more fossil-hunting outings! :dinothumb:

10 hours ago, markjw said:

Spectacular finds!!! I'm bubbling with excitement about that nautiloid.

Can't be luck..you must have good instincts.

Oh, I was bubbling - I couldn't believe it when I saw it!!!  And as much as I love that trilobite, I think I love the nautiloid more! 

9 hours ago, FossilNerd said:

Very good day out! Love the nautiloid!!! :wub:

It was a great afternoon out - I, too, love the nautiloid :wub::)

9 hours ago, Emthegem said:

Wow super cool, I have an almost identical looking one from the Humber river a couple years back take a look:

image.png.f67b3688b20200303033fda80a5bb2ed.png

Very nice trilobite - congrats! :dinothumb::trilo:

7 hours ago, Al Tahan said:

Awesome Monica!!! That flexi is killer :wub:. You paid your dues, congratulations!

Thanks, Al!  I do feel as though I paid my dues, and yesterday was just my day to find exactly what I've been looking for for 3 years - I still feel amazing this morning!!!

7 hours ago, Peat Burns said:

:drool:

Tony, when I saw the nautiloid revealed after removing a layer of rock, I think that's exactly what I did, too! :P

4 hours ago, Nimravis said:

Monica- great finds and a great report- now you need to go back tomorrow and grab what you missed. :thumbsu:

Hey Ralph - thanks for chiming in!  Unfortunately, I'm not going back today - today I'm going out to pick raspberries so I can freeze some for smoothies and make some jam for my husband and son.  I already took all that was visible of the nautiloid, though - I have the two pieces that splintered off of the main specimen, revealing the crystals underneath, so I may look into getting it properly prepped so those pieces can be re-attached and look nice - we'll see...

1 hour ago, RuMert said:

Very nice nautiloid indeed

Thank you! :)

• I found this Informative 3

What great finds! Congratulations on collecting two sought-after fossils for you, that must be a wonderful feeling. 

13 minutes ago, deutscheben said:

What great finds! Congratulations on collecting two sought-after fossils for you, that must be a wonderful feeling. 

Thanks, Ben - it was, and still is, a wonderful feeling :)

Well-done-32.gif.7eed0541951e020e3eff8d779d4535f7.gif     :crab:

Congratulations, Monica! Those are awesome finds! Wicked cool.

Start the day with a smile and get it over with.

49 minutes ago, Pagurus said:

Well-done-32.gif.7eed0541951e020e3eff8d779d4535f7.gif     :crab:

Congratulations, Monica! Those are awesome finds! Wicked cool.

Thanks, Mike!  I thought they were amazing finds, too :)

2 hours ago, Jeffrey P said:

Excellent finds. I love that nautiloid.

Thanks, Jeff - me, too :)

You should enter these for the FOTM.

It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt

-Mark Twain