Monica

18 hours ago, Monica said:

I think I may never tell Viola about my outing and finds from yesterday - I think I'll just put them in my display cabinets and never mention it to her... :ninja:

Or, perhaps I should tell her because it'll probably light a fire that won't stop until she finds something equally amazing, which is good news for me since that would mean more fossil-hunting outings! :dinothumb:

Tough call! You never know what the reaction might be. I suppose I would have been bummed if my mother had done something like that when I was a kid (not that she would have, it was always me that was the fossil nut). Put it in the case and see how long it takes her to notice. :whistle:  :D

Can you post more pics of that orthocone when you get a chance? Esp. the anterior end - I wonder if you have a complete one there...

• I found this Informative 1

Hi, Monica, nice finds, this orthocone is great !

theme-celtique.png.bbc4d5765974b5daba0607d157eecfed.png.7c09081f292875c94595c562a862958c.png

"On ne voit bien que par le coeur, l'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux." (Antoine de Saint-Exupéry)

"We only well see with the heart, the essential is invisible for the eyes."

In memory of Doren

photo-thumb-12286.jpg.878620deab804c0e4e53f3eab4625b4c.jpg

14 hours ago, Thecosmilia Trichitoma said:

You should enter these for the FOTM.

Thanks!  I just might do that :dinothumb:

12 hours ago, ynot said:

Awesome finds!

Congratulations Monica.:yay-smiley-1:

Thanks, Tony! (This is what I did when I found them: :megdance:)

4 hours ago, fifbrindacier said:

Hi, Monica, nice finds, this orthocone is great !

Thanks, Sophie!  I'm in love with the orthocone :wub:

10 hours ago, Wrangellian said:

Tough call! You never know what the reaction might be. I suppose I would have been bummed if my mother had done something like that when I was a kid (not that she would have, it was always me that was the fossil nut). Put it in the case and see how long it takes her to notice. :whistle:  :D

Can you post more pics of that orthocone when you get a chance? Esp. the anterior end - I wonder if you have a complete one there...

I think I'm going to do what you've suggested, Eric - put them in my cabinet, and perhaps enough time will pass by the time Viola notices them so that she won't be too disappointed :fingerscrossed:

As for whether or not I have the whole specimen - here are some photos - what do you think?

Top of specimen (as I found it in the host rock):

DSC00434.thumb.JPG.c8de47f740fe676d5f0f51c1dc896340.JPG

Bottom of specimen (as I found it in the host rock):

DSC00437.thumb.JPG.1e59dc6e248e7707ce74a163e89ba25c.JPG

Close-up of the tip of the specimen - did I get the specimen right to its tip???  Note the rounded tip:

DSC00439.thumb.JPG.1c02e806e8a1c9c773e09cd355eb170e.JPG

Close-up of the piece that splintered off the tip of the specimen:

DSC00440.thumb.JPG.f3d700225bb376af7ea89efb725556ca.JPG

Another close-up of the piece that splintered off the tip of the specimen:

DSC00442.JPG.72c46c594371f4025d7d1f4ec31f0448.JPG

Close-up of the edge of the piece that splintered off the tip of the specimen:

DSC00443.thumb.JPG.b1d1b105d8caa0cba9cb02c0aac802a6.JPG

Close up of the base of the specimen - did I get the specimen right to its base/living chamber???  Note the rounded base (in the photos above, this rounded base is covered by another rock that splintered off - I can either attached the splintered piece or I can leave the rounded base exposed):

DSC00438.thumb.JPG.fd78a170203dbba084703e1a964fb47a.JPG

Close-up of the piece that splintered off the base of the specimen:

DSC00441.thumb.JPG.1be0c3d4870379ffc510f493d5e66955.JPG

I'll tag @Ludwigia - perhaps he can give some insight, too :)

• I found this Informative 2

4 hours ago, Monica said:

I'll tag @Ludwigia - perhaps he can give some insight, too :)

I think you've got a complete one there. I'd suggest you ask Malcolm to prep it for you. I do believe it would be worth it.

• I found this Informative 2

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

39 minutes ago, Ludwigia said:

I think you've got a complete one there. I'd suggest you ask Malcolm to prep it for you. I do believe it would be worth it.

Thanks for your input and advice, Roger - I really appreciate it! :)

I'm no expert but I think Roger is right. I would glue those pieces back on, anyway.

Might be complete except for that bit at the tip, which if you didn't see any more of that part in the rock where you collected it, it could have even often broke off during life, as I understand is the case with heteromorphs in my area.

If you do glue those pieces back on, be sure to get more pics before getting it prepped!

On 7/24/2019 at 11:43 PM, Wrangellian said:

I'm no expert but I think Roger is right. I would glue those pieces back on, anyway.

Might be complete except for that bit at the tip, which if you didn't see any more of that part in the rock where you collected it, it could have even often broke off during life, as I understand is the case with heteromorphs in my area.

If you do glue those pieces back on, be sure to get more pics before getting it prepped!

Hey Eric!

I took Roger's and your advice and dropped off the orthoconic nautiloid at Malcolm's place yesterday - I'll make sure to post pictures of the final product when it's done.

Meanwhile, here are some photos of the Flexicalymene granulosa trilobite that Malcolm was kind enough to prep for me yesterday:

DSC00448.JPG.21288913b723ed273a4fa886bab5ce2f.JPGDSC00449.JPG.a1f02dae034ff0a14e0978a2fda86a85.JPG

Thanks once again to @Malcolmt - he did an amazing job (as usual!).

It's so beautiful and I'm so happy to have found this little guy that I've submitted it for this month's IFOTM :)

• I found this Informative 6

1 hour ago, Monica said:

Meanwhile, here are some photos of the Flexicalymene granulosa trilobite that Malcolm was kind enough to prep for me yesterday:

DSC00448.JPG.21288913b723ed273a4fa886bab5ce2f.JPGDSC00449.JPG.a1f02dae034ff0a14e0978a2fda86a85.JPG

Thanks once again to @Malcolmt - he did an amazing job (as usual!).

It's so beautiful and I'm so happy to have found this little guy that I've submitted it for this month's IFOTM :)

Malcolm is a Magician  bth_magican.gif  Congrats! dancing smiley

image.png.a84de26dad44fb03836a743755df237c.png

3 hours ago, piranha said:

Malcolm is a Magician  bth_magican.gif  Congrats! dancing smiley

Malcolm is indeed incredibly talented, and I've been lucky enough to see him at work - it really is amazing to watch something emerge from the faintest outline within a rock. :trilosurprise:

Congrats on the finds. That orthocone reminds me more of a juvenile Endoceras- check the siphuncle and the Endocerases usually have a yellow/golden pyritized negative cast. On the same type of limestone Treptoceras usually has that distinct white fishbone look. Juvenile and smaller Endoceras specimens exist, but they are not commonly found as the same size as Treptoceras (Treptoceras maximum length is 40 cm for an adult). 

That trilobite looks very impressive prepped. It's nice to know your eyes are getting trained to know what anatomical features to look for. 

7 hours ago, JUAN EMMANUEL said:

Congrats on the finds. That orthocone reminds me more of a juvenile Endoceras- check the siphuncle and the Endocerases usually have a yellow/golden pyritized negative cast. On the same type of limestone Treptoceras usually has that distinct white fishbone look. Juvenile and smaller Endoceras specimens exist, but they are not commonly found as the same size as Treptoceras (Treptoceras maximum length is 40 cm for an adult). 

That trilobite looks very impressive prepped. It's nice to know your eyes are getting trained to know what anatomical features to look for. 

I think it's a Treptoceras based on the look of the specimen where it is broken (the host rock had a couple of cracks in it when I found it, and these cracks went right through the specimen) - the siphuncle is visible and has a very small diameter compared to the phragmocone diameter, the siphuncle is not centred in the phragmocone, and the septal wall is white.  I don't have the specimen anymore because I dropped it off to be prepped, but if you think that Endoceras might still be a candidate I can ask @Malcolmt if he can take a picture of where the siphuncle is visible in cross-section - just let me know...

• 10 months later...

Wow! 

Missed this thread.

Great finds, Monica, and the prepping on that trilobite is magical.:b_love1:

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

11 hours ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

Wow! 

Missed this thread.

Great finds, Monica, and the prepping on that trilobite is magical.:b_love1:

Thanks, Adam!  That trilobite is definitely a special find for me, especially after @Malcolmt prepped it so beautifully :wub::trilo: (Thanks again, Malcolm!)

12 hours ago, Archie said:

Awesome finds Monica!! That trilobite turned out so nice! :envy:

It did indeed turn out very nicely - it's probably my favourite found fossil :wub::trilo:

This summer I'll be on the lookout for another (if/when I find the time to get away so I can check out my old and some new spots along the creek - hopefully I will :fingerscrossed:)

53 minutes ago, Archie said:

Good luck, I'm sure theres more out there waiting for you! :fingerscrossed:

I certainly hope so! :fingerscrossed::fingerscrossed::fingerscrossed:

Thanks for the good luck! :)

2 hours ago, dinosaur man said:

Amazing finds!

Thanks so much! :)

10 hours ago, Paul1719 said:

Very cool finds and you can do in a free afternoon!

Thanks!  I actually visited my spot on Mimico Creek this afternoon and I found nothing.  Maybe next time... :fingerscrossed: