VERY successful outing in Toronto/Mississauga

Emthegem

Hello!

Just wanted to show off some VERY nice fossils (by our standards) I found this past weekend in Etobicoke creek right around the border of Mississauga/Toronto! Me and my dad decided to get back in the groove for some fossil hunting and spent a while biking off road until we came across the mother-of-all rock deposits (by Toronto standards).

I posted a couple pictures of the big/best finds below, sorry I didn't have a ruler on me for reference so Canadian currency will have to do for those not from Canada:

*To make the lives of those outside of Canada slightly easier: 2$ (multi-tone) coin is 2.8cm, 1$ (loon) coin is 2.65cm and quarter (horse) coin is 2.381cm*

5d36359e90a46_20190721_174423(1).thumb.jpg.2e33665db2d3db74bcfa8828ff42c202.jpg5d3635a567653_20190721_174339(1).thumb.jpg.6c4ea2e248b3bcc0d023dd692b66424d.jpg5d3635ae393b8_20190721_174316(1).thumb.jpg.310795bd01ea74db1e1f33f439208f32.jpg5d3635b0aee33_20190721_174429(1).thumb.jpg.56f9ec6eba58442ee51ecd3e0760945b.jpg5d3635b32eaa0_20190721_174455(1).thumb.jpg.8586581ae5638e460b11d3f33cc98ade.jpg5d36362764881_20190721_174322(1).thumb.jpg.e4f1d688b52b3da187458f60d87cacc1.jpg5d3635a16079c_20190721_174400(1).jpg.d7f48fa2cb5f6e2baa826e3ce1586122.jpg5d363678d4b91_20190721_150510(1).thumb.jpg.bc1dc339ec55f3b53bf6faf2bf46a6ca.jpg

For the very last one, we were not able to carry them home on our bikes so they were left there - maybe someone from the forums could pick it up for themselves?

Let me know what you think of these finds! We were pretty proud for not having done a dig in a very long time.

-Em

• I found this Informative 11

-

The nautiloids are sweeeet!

• I found this Informative 1

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

26 minutes ago, Mark Kmiecik said:

The nautiloids are sweeeet!

Thanks!! :)

-

Great finds!!!

The nautiloids are Treptoceras crebriseptum.

The black bivalve imprint/impression is Pholadomorpha pholadiformis (I think).

The bivalve imprint/impression with ridges is Ambonychia radiata.

The gastropods are Lophospira sp. (I think).

• I found this Informative 4

Very cool! Look like very nice fossils by any standards. :) 

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)

23 minutes ago, FossilNerd said:

Very cool! Look like very nice fossils by any standards. :) 

Haha thanks!!!!

37 minutes ago, markjw said:

Those are spectacular finds.

Thank you!!

53 minutes ago, Monica said:

Great finds!!!

The nautiloids are Treptoceras crebriseptum.

The black bivalve imprint/impression is Pholadomorpha pholadiformis (I think).

The bivalve imprint/impression with ridges is Ambonychia radiata.

The gastropods are Lophospira sp. (I think).

Wow thanks for identifying them, you obviously know a lot more than me haha!

-

Excellent pieces! I love the assortment. It was a good day for Ontario trip reports yesterday. :)

:crab:  Thanks for sharing your finds. Beautiful nautiloids. Congratulations.

Start the day with a smile and get it over with.

the internal structure showing in the third photo should get wide distribution, it is so clear and as they say "a picture is worth a thousand words."  Wonderful fossils. 

6 hours ago, Pagurus said:

:crab:  Thanks for sharing your finds. Beautiful nautiloids. Congratulations.

7 hours ago, Al Tahan said:

:default_clap2:beautiful specimen 

7 hours ago, deutscheben said:

Excellent pieces! I love the assortment. It was a good day for Ontario trip reports yesterday. :)

13 hours ago, Ludwigia said:

Nice finds! There seems to be a never-ending supply of nautiloids along that creek.

Wow thanks to everyone and their nice comments I really appreciate it! I will definitely be on here more often and sending in more fossil searches when I get the chance!

-

On 7/22/2019 at 6:29 PM, Emthegem said:

5d3635b0aee33_20190721_174429(1).thumb.jpg.56f9ec6eba58442ee51ecd3e0760945b.jpg

This fella here looks more like a Modiolopsis ovata. Some of the gastropods also could be Hormotoma gracilis. 

Very nice haul. Can I assume you were hunting not far from Lake Ontario?

• I found this Informative 4

8 hours ago, JUAN EMMANUEL said:

This fella here looks more like a Modiolopsis ovata. Some of the gastropods also could be Hormotoma gracilis. 

Very nice haul. Can I assume you were hunting not far from Lake Ontario?

Yep!, just a couple kilometers up from the lake - down Etobicoke creek. I used to find lots of very interesting stuff more north on the Humber river but our spot got covered by old concrete when they repaired the bridge so that sucked ;( I'm going to try some new rivers soon though!

-

I want to find new places too.
Lately I've explored Joshua's Creek in Oakville. It is full of distinctive Georgian Bay type 'trace fossils', and there are multi-layer outcrops on the banks, but few fossils.

Today I explored 300m of the creek and brought home only 2 fair/good fossil rocks. So I'll be looking for new rivers as well.

Good luck on your search.

• I found this Informative 2

Those ones with the internal structures hollowed out are so beautiful!:wub: It’s easy to see how they functioned and to see hints of its life cycle.

Each dot is 50,000,000 years:

Hadean............Archean..............................Proterozoic.......................................Phanerozoic...........

Paleo......Meso....Ceno..

Ꞓ.OSD.C.P.Tr.J.K..Pg.NgQ< You are here

Doesn't time just fly by?

1 minute ago, markjw said:

I want to find new places too.
Lately I've explored Joshua's Creek in Oakville. It is full of distinctive Georgian Bay type 'trace fossils', and there are multi-layer outcrops on the banks, but few fossils.

Today I explored 300m of the creek and brought home only 2 fair/good fossil rocks. So I'll be looking for new rivers as well.

Good luck on your search.

I would HIGHLY recommend Etobicoke creek or Humber river if you get the chance! Etobicoke has lots of good stuff and accounts for everything I've found so far this summer, a seemingly infinite amount of orthoconic nautiloids and shells. I used to go to the same spot a couples kilometers north from the lake on the Humber riverside, although I haven't been since they did a lot of construction 8 or so years ago (I do plan to go sometime this summer though!) I've also heard of Mimico creek being decent, although I've never been personally (I also intend to visit this summer as well).

Along Etobicoke creek you can also find lots of cliffsides with various strata layers. Unfortunately I'm not sure which layers typically yield fossils so I haven't found anything interesting there yet but if you knew the layers I'd imagine it'd be a pretty lucrative opportunity.

Hopefully this helps!

-Em

-

3 minutes ago, UtahFossilHunter said:

Those ones with the internal structures hollowed out are so beautiful!:wub: It’s easy to see how they functioned and to see hints of its life cycle.

Thanks! It's crazy to think that the air in some of the unopened pockets are hundreds of millions of years old! (I might be wrong about this not sure...?)

-

21 hours ago, Emthegem said:

I would HIGHLY recommend Etobicoke creek or Humber river if you get the chance! Etobicoke has lots of good stuff and accounts for everything I've found so far this summer, a seemingly infinite amount of orthoconic nautiloids and shells. I used to go to the same spot a couples kilometers north from the lake on the Humber riverside, although I haven't been since they did a lot of construction 8 or so years ago (I do plan to go sometime this summer though!) I've also heard of Mimico creek being decent, although I've never been personally (I also intend to visit this summer as well).

Along Etobicoke creek you can also find lots of cliffsides with various strata layers. Unfortunately I'm not sure which layers typically yield fossils so I haven't found anything interesting there yet but if you knew the layers I'd imagine it'd be a pretty lucrative opportunity.

Hopefully this helps!

-Em

Thanks for the tip. I've had great luck at Etobicoke Creek but I've never visited Humber River and I think I should.

• 10 months later...
55 minutes ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

Love the gastropod plate! :b_love1:

Thanks! This kind of fossil seems to be somewhat of an anomaly when it comes to the fossils around my area, I've only ever found two or three plates with those species on it, but they always look exactly the same with tons of gastropod all throughout the plates. I believe they are Lophospira.

-