marzru

Going thru my box of geodes and found what possibly could be Dino egg...need help to identify this fossil...found this in northern Iowa in my husband’s grandmother’s rocks outside in her flower bed...may not originally be from Iowa.

Approximate Measurements:

5” long. 10.1cm wide

4” wide.  7.6cm wide

2F876D13-A056-40B4-800E-C01FB97D4ABB.thumb.jpeg.d112d1ae3c700beef712cae894297373.jpeg

F8F0C394-BE0F-4E7F-9A9B-8FA22ABD012C.jpeg

C261D080-0F23-42A9-BE68-CA5AEFB54491.jpeg

2176516E-06D6-458F-9CF3-5289EA614E63.jpeg

Edited by marzru
Add pic

No, not an egg. No embryo, simply because soft tissue is not preserved 99.9% of the time. The part you say has the shape of an embryo is exactly the shape of the area where the "eggshell" isn't. Why is that? The outline of the shell does not define the shape of the embryo. Also, eggshell is porous so the embryo can breathe. If you Google photos of magnified eggshell, you'll see what I mean. If an embryo is preserved the bones that have begun forming within are quite prominently displayed and usually well preserved as they are the only hard bits beside the shell. Also if an egg was flattened like that, there would be evidence of cracks along all of the edge where two surfaces meet. There are none here. This alone tells me there is no evidence of shell here, and without the shell it would not retain an egg shape when burial took place. The line across it where it is "bent" should show evidence of compression on the inside of the bend and expansion on the outside.

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

Thank you for the info!  I did try to suppress photos but I couldn’t figure it out..... I do apologize for the delayed reply...I was in the hospital...I will figure the photo thing out :)

Thank y’all for the info...I appreciate y’all and everyone else who gives information and shares their opinion...i am so sorry for me delayed reply...I was in the hospital...take care and once again THANK Y’ALL!!!!!

11 minutes ago, marzru said:

Thank y’all for the info...I appreciate y’all and everyone else who gives information and shares their opinion...i am so sorry for me delayed reply...I was in the hospital...take care and once again THANK Y’ALL!!!!!

Not an issue -- we all hope you are doing well. 

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!