Part of a segmented fossil?

Reebs

Greetings! 

I found this fossil on Sunday in Bradenton, Fl (Manatee County) It is 1.5”/38 mm long, 1.5” wide and .5” thick. It appears to be broken on 3 edges.  I tried to photograph it on white background but some pics where I am holding it turned out sharper. Some of the things I found nearby were horse teeth, chunks of meg teeth, tiger shark and hemipristis teeth and the most massive Florida horse conch and mollusks I’ve ever seen.  I’ve been trying to learn the age and specific formations that I hunt in but it’s been confusing to me.  Is it possible that I’m in the peace river formation if I’m 40 miles west of the actual river? Or would it most likely be the Arcadia formation, or even bone valley? Some overlap so how do you tell? I think I am mostly in Miocene- Pliocene. Getting a bit off topic but if anyone can shed light on my mystery find and possibly clarify on formation locations :) I enjoy this forum so very much.  Thank you all members. Best, Marie 

DB0688E6-ACCE-4F72-9E34-E097CF7468AA.jpeg

944ABC0C-8473-4FA6-BB8E-2B7CD43197D5.jpeg

I believe you have a piece of a ray mouth plate.

Here are some examples.

20190722_191637.png

20190722_191615.png

20190722_191656.png

• I found this Informative 1

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

Yep agree with Caldigger...Looks to be part of a ray mouth plate..usually you just find just the individual pieces... nice find...

Have you looked at the geologic map of Sarasota County??...sometimes that helps narrow it downs and can tell you what the surface geology is.

https://ufdc.ufl.edu/UF00094736/00001

.sometimes its a little spotty....as creeks and rivers tends to mix alot of stuff up as they cut thru the various formations/exposures. Sometimes the associated species you are finding can tell you the age and the formation...

Continued hunting success! 

Regards, Chris 

52 minutes ago, Reebs said:

Is it possible that I’m in the peace river formation if I’m 40 miles west of the actual river?

It's not only possible but probable. Don't forget that a formation is generally a layer of material that may have covered an area anywhere from the size of a football field (which would be on the very tiny side) to the size of an entire continent or more. Sometimes pieces of a formation may be missing in some spots where they have been washed away by moving water (eroded) or split apart by seismic activity (faults and folds). There's some very good videos of the possibilities on YouTube. Google geological processes and watch a few.

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

Oh Wow, how neat! Caldigger and plantguy - MANY thanks for the info!! I often find single plates but never more than one together. When I put an individual piece next to it, it totally makes sense. I will continue researching my formations and finds and check out the link you provided. Thanks again. Cheers! 

3 minutes ago, Mark Kmiecik said:

It's not only possible but probable. Don't forget that a formation is generally a layer of material that may have covered an area anywhere from the size of a football field (which would be on the very tiny side) to the size of an entire continent or more. Sometimes pieces of a formation may be missing in some spots where they have been washed away by moving water (eroded) or split apart by seismic activity (faults and folds). There's some very good videos of the possibilities on YouTube. Google geological processes and watch a few.

Thank you, Mark.  I appreciate your helpful response.  I better get to googling - this gals got a lot to learn :)  

Just now, Reebs said:

Thank you, Mark.  I appreciate your helpful response.  I better get to googling - this gals got a lot to learn :)  

Be careful. Once you start down that learning rabbit hole, there's no turning back.

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

Just now, Mark Kmiecik said:

Be careful. Once you start down that learning rabbit hole, there's no turning back.

Heh! I feel ya.  For a good while I was satisfied with knowing WHAT it came from...but now I’m wanting to know when, and where, and how!  This stuff is mind blowing and I just love it :)  

58 minutes ago, Reebs said:

Heh! I feel ya.  For a good while I was satisfied with knowing WHAT it came from...but now I’m wanting to know when, and where, and how!  This stuff is mind blowing and I just love it :)  

Ah oh, I can tell you're a gonner already! :zzzzscratchchin:

Good luck to ya and don't hesitate to show us more fossil goodies.

Dorensigbadges.JPG