Sign in to follow this  
RandyB

New version of Sharks of the World: A Fully Illustrated Guide (34799) being published

RandyB

Not sure where this belongs, but for those of you that are shark fanciers I recently found that the definitive guide, "Sharks of the World: a fully illustrated guide" by David A Ebert, Leonard Compagno and Sarah L Fowler with illustrations by Marc Dando is being published with 80 additional pages in October.  If you have been looking for a copy you may be aware that the 2013 edition currently sells for a ridiculous $600 to well over $1000. (Best I can find right now is $591)  You can preorder a copy of the new expanded version now

siteseer
On 7/22/2019 at 6:41 PM, RandyB said:

Not sure where this belongs, but for those of you that are shark fanciers I recently found that the definitive guide, "Sharks of the World: a fully illustrated guide" by David A Ebert, Leonard Compagno and Sarah L Fowler with illustrations by Marc Dando is being published with 80 additional pages in October.  If you have been looking for a copy you may be aware that the 2013 edition currently sells for a ridiculous $600 to well over $1000. (Best I can find right now is $591)  You can preorder a copy of the new expanded version now

Yeah, they keep publishing useful references that are way too expensive.  There are a lot of collectors, including me, and researchers that still don't have Cappetta's 2012 update of Chondrichthyes II from 1987.  That's over $300.  Research libraries at even major universities known for their paleo programs can't afford to splurge on volumes like that because their budgets started getting slashed back in the 90's.  Maybe I'll find it for $5 at a flea market.

I heard Last and Stevens' 2009 2nd edition of "Sharks and Rays of Australia" is worth having even if you don't like near Australia.  You can get that for about $100 which is more reasonable.

RandyB

@siteseer i preordered it for $70 US with overseas shipping included. Thats why i posted it here. Picking up an expanded version for under $100 was worth it to me

siteseer

This topic would be more visible in the Fossil Literature category.

Kane
5 hours ago, siteseer said:

This topic would be more visible in the Fossil Literature category.

Done. :dinothumb:

siteseer
9 hours ago, Kane said:

Done. :dinothumb:

Thanks, Kane.

Jess

Yoda
On 23/07/2019 at 2:41 AM, RandyB said:

Yikes - I certainly didn't pay that for my copy. :blink:

So pleased I picked it up when I did.

There are so many books in my "to get list" 

Don't know if I can justifying buying a 2nd copy at this stage though 

Yoda

I see this book is now expected in August 2020