Three fossils for ID

guitardude

Hi, 

I found these recently while searching Post Oak Creek in Texas for shark teeth.

The bone is approximately 3.125 inches long.   It wasn't found near the tooth.

The tooth looks similar to a coyote or wolf canine tooth?  I can't really make out the line where it would transition to the exposed part of the tooth in person, but I can barely see it in the 1st picture.

I'm not really sure on the small white fossil on the blue paper...

Any thoughts?

Thanks

side_A.jpg

side_B.jpg

The large bone looks like a chicken femur to me, though I could be mistaken.  The small white fossil on the blue paper is a piece of hinge from an inoceramid clam.

Don

• I found this Informative 3

"Dude" you may want to separate the items and photograph individually. Your camera can't focus on all three. Its focusing on tge closest item and thus causing an out of focus condition for the others.  

The old adage: Less is more. ;)

• I found this Informative 1

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

Thanks everyone!

Yep that white fossil on the blue tape looks exactly like the hinge joint in other photos of complete inoceramid clams.

I'll post individual photos for each fossil next time.

The tooth does look just like other raccoon teeth from google searches.

The bone does look really close to that turkey humerus.  That is a nice comparison photo.   I had mostly been looking at various femurs and they all had a pretty round and pronounced connection point near the hip (I've learned this is called the "head" or  "fovea capitis"). The bone I have has a flat section that matches that turkey humerus photo.  

That turkey humerus is 115mm where as the bone I found is approximately 79mm.  That means the bird this would have come from is likely a bit smaller (assuming both were adults or at roughly the same age)?   I looked into chicken humerus length.  It looks like the bird for this bone would be somewhat larger than a modern commercial chicken... which some searching puts in the 55-69mm range (I don't think I'm supposed to post a reference link)

Could be different species of Meleagris.  In the SW of the USA, the Late Pleistocene species is M. crassipes.  I don't know about size differences.

http://pristis.wix.com/the-demijohn-page

What seest thou else

In the dark backward and abysm of time?

---Shakespeare, The Tempest