Unknown Whole Trilobite & Other

Bev

SE Minnesota - Fillmore County

Ordovician

Decorah Shale

These two fossils, along with many others, were found on a hunt I just hosted. This is a well known and prolific site of Decorah Shale which boosts a lot of trilobites. I believe this is a whole one as to me I believe I can identify a pygidium and cephalon, but the thorax doesn't have the distinctive 3 lobes OR the other two are still buried in the matrix. The plainess reminds me of Isotelus, a small one, but it seems too plain even for an Iso. The other fossil is an obvious imprint but I have never seen anything like it in my collecting here! Thoughts anyone?

5d36fb12bd0cb_geologistsforscale.jpg.fe46a7a0c5cee827640de0ac450f796e.jpg

For scale

5d36fb4193c25_geologiststrilotop.jpg.040d9afb344e61895bca475be8e4637e.jpg

Trilo top

5d36fb6309d09_geologiststrilofrontcu1.jpg.6cc0dafb55b6a27deade7bbd6f911928.jpg

Trilo front with ceph

5d36fb9209c51_geologiststrilosupercu.jpg.08f4f03b502454cec66af4d8d4b06348.jpg

Trilo front super cu, a bit blurred.  :-(

5d36fbe1616c6_geologistsfancu.jpg.b2503e66391ef753e0756e8e728fcb13.jpg

The "fan".

5d36fc05c974c_geologists2fossilswet.jpg.f4b22255a38a3a21614e1d78f7b89812.jpg

Wet

Thanks for taking a lot and any thoughts!  :-D

The more I learn, I realize the less I know.

:wacko:

Go to my

Gallery for images of Fossil Jewelry, Sculpture & Crafts

Pinned Posts:

The pygidium looks like a Scutellid. As for the other one with the thorax visible, I'm only counting six segments, and wonder if there are more (Isotelus has eight),

• I found this Informative 1

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

2 minutes ago, Kane said:

The pygidium looks like a Scutellid. As for the other one with the thorax visible, I'm only counting six segments, and wonder if there are more (Isotelus has eight),

The "fan" is a pygidium!?! Really!!! WOW, thank you as I never would have guessed it was even trilobite!

So you think that is just the thorax without the head or tail? The soft rounded triangle at the end visible in the rock I thought for sure was a pygdy. So much for what I think!  LOL  :-D

Thank you Kane!

Go to my

Pinned Posts:

I would hazard a guess that the "fan" is an example of Eobrontus lunatus, and any day someone finds even a partial of this styginid is a good (if not great) day! It is indeed a trilobite. I think you had another post on June 4 where one of your younger visitors found a very nice example of its pydgy: 

The other one is still stumping me a bit. I'm leaning toward Bumastoides, but I think a bit more needs to be revealed first. What leads me to think it may be that is simply based on the simplicity of the shape and the lack of any defined axial lobe... but it could be lurking beneath the stone!

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

image.thumb.png.daf9b7b215162e8f2520b3a68c4236b6.pngA

@Kane, I did a little search and ended up at Caleb's old site and indeed I see it now! THANK YOU!

And yes, Bumastus, I can see that too.

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!

TWO trilobites and the impression of the Eobrontus lunatus would be an exceptional find too! This was a family group of gals, two were geologists just unfamiliar with the Ordo here. It was the 14 yo who found the Bumastus. What a fun day!

Go to my

Pinned Posts: