piscataway creek tributary

I'm heading to DC soon and have been going over my Rocking Hounding Delaware, Maryland, and DC book. I'm looking at site 69, Piscataway Creek and Tributary. When I google earth the location for parking and the fossil outcrop, there is a yellow sign on the guard rail up from where the outcrop is. You can't read it from the google earth images, and I'm wondering if it's some sort of no trespassing type of sign? There were 3 cars parked in the spot he suggested parking, but it looks like the shoulder keeps going just to where the outcrop is. Instead of hiking 1000 feet down this tributary, wondering if you can just climb down from the end of the shoulder there into the outcrop area? If you don't want to respond here, feel free to shoot me a PM. I'll have the family in tow, and planning on telling them to just go do something else while I hike down there with some waders and come back to pick me up. Thanks in advance.

sharkdoctor

The Piscataway Stream Valley Park now covers all of that area. Hiking is acceptable, but fossil collecting is no longer allowed on that property.

• I found this Informative 1
12 minutes ago, sharkdoctor said:

The Piscataway Stream Valley Park now covers all of that area. Hiking is acceptable, but fossil collecting is no longer allowed on that property.

:(   Another one bites the dust.

Don

Dang, well that sucks. I saw the park was to the left. A lot of that books says that land status is uncertain which is frustrating as I want to be a responsible collector. I know things can change over time obviously as well so there is that as well. I’ll just have to hope for the best at Matoaka I guess for my fossil needs. Thank you very much for the information as I’m on limited time when it comes to fossils. They’re already complaining because it’s going to be in the 90s lol. 

Mark Kmiecik
1 hour ago, smt126 said:

Dang, well that sucks. I saw the park was to the left. A lot of that books says that land status is uncertain which is frustrating as I want to be a responsible collector. I know things can change over time obviously as well so there is that as well. I’ll just have to hope for the best at Matoaka I guess for my fossil needs. Thank you very much for the information as I’m on limited time when it comes to fossils. They’re already complaining because it’s going to be in the 90s lol. 

Last Friday the heat index in Schaumburg, Illinois hit 119. The thought of moving to Florida to cool off came to mind.

• I found this Informative 1
11 hours ago, Mark Kmiecik said:

Last Friday the heat index in Schaumburg, Illinois hit 119. The thought of moving to Florida to cool off came to mind.

Yea that heat wave we had the last week is pushing over there unfortunately