Is this Trilobite real?

Constantine

Hello everyone im new here , really exited to find this forum for discussion and information about fossils.

Now to my problem i bought this trilobite 28cm (''cambropallas telesto'' if im not mistaken) from a local store from what they said to me this was imported from UK, when i got a closer look seemed to me that most of the ridges of the trilobite are engraved man-made by some kind of clay.

So my question is any part of it real?

I would have posted more pics but the files are too big.

Thanks in advance.

67578453_2441677392519028_2760397153544175616_n.jpg

Edited by Constantine

Hi Constatine,

What I think to tell about this piece..

Basically, you bought an composed Moroccan Cambropallas telesto cambrian trilobite. I had to make some kind of color painting here to explain because there 's quite a lot. I bet that the trilobite consists out of (at least) 2 different specimens they glued back together to make a complete one. Next to that, they didn't take any well preserved pieces, but very random pieces and filled in what is missing. Color, glue, plaster, .. all joined together to finish the piece. The outer parts of each segment of the body are very easily shaped .. which they did here too.

It's partially real (65%) and partially fake (35%) - but it remains a 2 piece trilobite..

Have a look at the back side: it usually tells better what's wrong with the piece then the trilobite itself .. 

Cheers,

dries

image.png.80f87866495c363d97ef3929474f6abd.png

• I found this Informative 7

5 minutes ago, Fitch1979 said:

Thanks a lot Fitch1979 very informative

Edited by Constantine

7 hours ago, Constantine said:

I would have posted more pics but the files are too big.

You can hit refresh to post more photos, post as replies, or reduce the file size, or all of these together.

There is a lot of info on fake Moroccan trilobites on this forum. Use the search bar at the top of the page.

• I found this Informative 1

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!