Collecting glacial erratic fossils in New York

mikeymig

July 23,2019

Its been so hot working outside all week that today's fossil hunt in 70 degree temps felt cool. It was quiet in the stream (besides the sound of wildlife) when I got there in the AM and stayed that way all day. I didnt want to disturb the scene with me pounding on rocks so I surface collected and covered a large area of the stream.  Along the sides of the stream are glacial erratic boulders, stones, and gravel. The tabulate corals (Chonostegites clappi, Favosites winchelli, Favosites sp.)  I pictured in this post were found among these glacial rocks. In one gully off the stream I noticed a large boulder of Waterlime. I have found parts of Eurypterids in these displaced Silurian rocks before. Today I found a partial Eurypterid on one of these boulders but had to leave it where I found it. Too big and way too far to haul back. 

Happy Collecting,

Mikeymig 

erraticcoral1.jpg

erraticcoral3.jpg

erraticcoral4.jpg

• I found this Informative 7

Many times I've wondered how much there is to know.  
led zeppelin

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png IPFOTM.png IPFOTM2.png IPFOTM3.png IPFOTM4.png IPFOTM5.png

The stream I collected in and the Eurypterid. :) 

20190723_095428A.jpg

erratic5.jpg

• I found this Informative 4

led zeppelin

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png IPFOTM.png IPFOTM2.png IPFOTM3.png IPFOTM4.png IPFOTM5.png

• mikeymig changed the title to Collecting glacial erratic fossils in New York

Interesting preservation on that coral - I like it!

And that eurypterid - even though you had to leave it behind, I'm :envy: that you even found it!!!

• I found this Informative 1

Mikey, 

Glad you could get out. Who knew glacial erratics could be so interesting? 

Thanks for the great report. 

That stream looks like a "cool" place to collect. :) 

Tim    VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM APRIL - 2015  

22 hours ago, Fossildude19 said:

Who knew glacial erratics could be so interesting? 

Glacial erratics can cover a wide range of geological formations, depending on the area where the glaciers came from. For Eastern Germany (for example), where travelling in other countries was usually no option, a lot of collectors could collect fossils from the early Cambrian up the the Quaternary (with an unfortunate gap between Silurian and Triassic) within one outcrop and learn additionally a lot about the crystalline basement rocks of a whole craton/The Baltic Shield.  There is a german geological society dealing only with glacial erratics.

So, nice to hear about collectors from other countries with a rocky heart for glacial erratices. And I know a lot of people who here, who would vaporise the rock shown above, to get the "Shrimp Tail" of the spiny E. and give him a new home....

6 hours ago, Johannes said:

Glacial erratics can cover a wide range of geological formations, depending on the area where the glaciers came from. For Eastern Germany (for example), where travelling in other countries was usually no option, a lot of collectors could collect fossils from the early Cambrian up the the Quaternary (with an unfortunate gap between Silurian and Triassic) within one outcrop and learn additionally a lot about the crystalline basement rocks of a whole craton/The Baltic Shield.  There is a german geological society dealing only with glacial erratics.

So, nice to hear about collectors from other countries with a rocky heart for glacial erratices. And I know a lot of people who here, who would vaporise the rock shown above, to get the "Shrimp Tail" of the spiny E. and give him a new home....

New York State is very glacially formed and many features (including the Adirondack mountains) have been shaped by ice. I live on the ancient shore of Lake Iroquois when Lake Ontario was larger and at the foot of the retreating Wisconsin Glaciation. 

led zeppelin