mikeymig

Collecting glacial erratic fossils in New York

Monica

Interesting preservation on that coral - I like it!

And that eurypterid - even though you had to leave it behind, I'm :envy: that you even found it!!!

ynot

Nice finds!

Too bad about the leverite heavierock.

Fossildude19

Mikey, 

Glad you could get out. Who knew glacial erratics could be so interesting? 

Thanks for the great report. 

That stream looks like a "cool" place to collect. :) 

Johannes
22 hours ago, Fossildude19 said:

Who knew glacial erratics could be so interesting? 

Glacial erratics can cover a wide range of geological formations, depending on the area where the glaciers came from. For Eastern Germany (for example), where travelling in other countries was usually no option, a lot of collectors could collect fossils from the early Cambrian up the the Quaternary (with an unfortunate gap between Silurian and Triassic) within one outcrop and learn additionally a lot about the crystalline basement rocks of a whole craton/The Baltic Shield.  There is a german geological society dealing only with glacial erratics.

So, nice to hear about collectors from other countries with a rocky heart for glacial erratices. And I know a lot of people who here, who would vaporise the rock shown above, to get the "Shrimp Tail" of the spiny E. and give him a new home....

mikeymig
6 hours ago, Johannes said:

Glacial erratics can cover a wide range of geological formations, depending on the area where the glaciers came from. For Eastern Germany (for example), where travelling in other countries was usually no option, a lot of collectors could collect fossils from the early Cambrian up the the Quaternary (with an unfortunate gap between Silurian and Triassic) within one outcrop and learn additionally a lot about the crystalline basement rocks of a whole craton/The Baltic Shield.  There is a german geological society dealing only with glacial erratics.

So, nice to hear about collectors from other countries with a rocky heart for glacial erratices. And I know a lot of people who here, who would vaporise the rock shown above, to get the "Shrimp Tail" of the spiny E. and give him a new home....

New York State is very glacially formed and many features (including the Adirondack mountains) have been shaped by ice. I live on the ancient shore of Lake Iroquois when Lake Ontario was larger and at the foot of the retreating Wisconsin Glaciation.