Fossil Hash?

Utahman

I think I found tumbled fossil hash out near Green River, Utah (Jurassic?) and was wondering what exactly I did find? I appreciate all help! I have so many to identify... glad I found this forum.

IMG_2088.JPG

IMG_2086.JPG

IMG_2087.JPG

IMG_2085.JPG

Hi there, and welcome to the forum!

I think you have a bunch of gastropods in that rock - nice!  (I love gastropods :))

• I found this Informative 1

11 minutes ago, Monica said:

Hi there, and welcome to the forum!

I think you have a bunch of gastropods in that rock - nice!  (I love gastropods :))

Thank you!! I reaaaaallllllyyyyy wish I would have taken the other two nearby.. I was already carrying so much rocks and wasn't 100%

Do you think it would be awesome if I cut it in half and polished the halves?

Welcome to the Forum from Arizona.

You found a piece of “Turritella” Agate. Actually the freshwater snails are Eliminia tenera  and are found in the Eocene Green River Formation.

https://www.priweb.org/index.php/research/research-staff/cv-allmon/turritellid-research/turritella-agate

• I found this Informative 4

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

1 hour ago, Utahman said:

Thank you!! I reaaaaallllllyyyyy wish I would have taken the other two nearby.. I was already carrying so much rocks and wasn't 100%

Do you think it would be awesome if I cut it in half and polished the halves?

It's really up to you if you want to see it polished or not - some people prefer them polished while others prefer them as they are found.

Yup, Elimia tenera
Nice specimen! :)

I have only one polished matrix with a few of E. tenera, accidentally found in a lot of minerals (from someone's collection) I bought in a garage sale. I was stumped when I've seen those beauties in the rock. :D

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

36 minutes ago, Ludwigia said:

This is what they can look like when polished.                       

Yeah I think if I cut through the middle long ways and polished the insides it would be an epic piece. Thank you!

46 minutes ago, Utahman said:

Thank you! I'm very excited about it now. I wish I would have picked up the other..

You can save some time by grinding and sanding an inconspicuous spot and wetting it. This should give you a fairly good idea of how it will look and whether the matrix will accept polishing.

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!