5d38ddf88ceaa_HeatherSiple-COalHIll007.thumb.jpg.ccbae4be171df1dbfe8e16a7137e286f.jpg

I went with the Delaware Valley Paleontological Society  to a few spots in Central New York last month. Cole Hill Rd. in Hubbardsville has several outcrops on private land where the owners are willing to share with fossil hunters. We scrabbled up and down the scree - Whee- and found our fill of trilo-bits, including one Dipleura cephalon covered with druse calcite,   plus oodles of brachiopods, nautiloids, straight-shelled cephalopods, gastropods of all different shapes, and bivalves.

I learned a tough lesson that afternoon. Always wrap your specimens as you go. Not only will they keep from breaking, but they are easier to find when your bucket tips and tumbles down the hillside across countless tons of scree There were lots of pained faces around me as I hunted down the things I'd already found.. It took me half an hour to recover everything I could, but the best ones managed to make it home.

5d38ddf6e65ae_dipleuraface.thumb.jpg.fa6f5be97398bf6bcf03682ad371ce77.jpg Dilpeura trilobite cephalon

5d38ddf7846f9_dipleurawithcalcitecrystals-ColeHill.thumb.jpg.61ea4efc161b473ce206b0054033dbe9.jpg   Another trilobite cephalon, found by someone else in the group. This one is covered in sparkling calcite.

IMG_9998.thumb.jpg.69bacb3af4f9989959a5de0d7176c23e.jpg 

Crinoid holdfast? 

with  Ptomatis rudis gastropod

nautiloid1.thumb.jpg.4919a16c2c6834b96d49a0dc2a0d264d.jpg

unknown, probably nautiloid

IMG_0671.thumb.jpg.5b613c3c5cae9e8cdb6ad9ed6a5fb46d.jpg

Cornellites fasculata bivalve

gastropod1A.thumb.jpg.8a9751619c2889b82bd44cd66bfd9cdb.jpg

Palaeozygopleura sp.

IMG_0711.thumb.jpg.ce96e47e99fdfc1cad99586f4ffd613e.jpg5d38ddf91dffc_HeatherSiple-COalHIll013.thumb.jpg.13d5c2aa5e2e83950c0b98a2ba445a79.jpg

misc. unknown brachiopods

IMG_0815.jpg.2579e1875c189c0e08bdcec15ee30671.jpg  

If anyone has any ideas, I'd like to hear them. This spine-shaped object is about 6 inches long. I'd discount it as variations in the rock color, but the left end is curved outward from the matrix.

IMG_0837.jpg   

Worm trace fossil. They made carpets of these on the sea floor.

• I found this Informative 5
  • Enjoyed 1

I refuse to give up my childish wonder at the world.

Nice finds! Your unknown is not a nautilus,  but the gastropod Bembexia.

• I found this Informative 1
  • I Agree 1

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

5 minutes ago, Darktooth said:

Nice finds! Your unknown is not a nautilus,  but the gastropod Bembexia.

Thanks! Couldn't find anything like it in my one field guide. My personal library is lacking in Devonian references at the moment! Got any favorites to suggest?

4 minutes ago, I_gotta_rock said:

Thanks! Couldn't find anything like it in my one field guide. My personal library is lacking in Devonian references at the moment! Got any favorites to suggest?

David Linsley’s classic on Devonian Fossils of NY is good, although dated so some of the taxons have changed. Carl Wilson’s field guide is a more recent text.

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

Very nice finds! Glad you were able to pick up your spilled bucket! :) 

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)

5 minutes ago, Kane said:

David Linsley’s classic on Devonian Fossils of NY is good, although dated so some of the taxons have changed. Carl Wilson’s field guide is a more recent text.

Wilson's is the one I have. I've heard of Lindsey's, but haven't found a copy yet. Taxonomy changes, but as long as one has an old name it is usually possible to find an update, if you know where to look.

The photo on the left of unknown brachiopods includes Spinulicosta spinulicosta, a spiny Strophomenid. All of my specimens come from Cole Hill. 

• I found this Informative 2
  • I Agree 1

10 hours ago, I_gotta_rock said:

IMG_0671.thumb.jpg.5b613c3c5cae9e8cdb6ad9ed6a5fb46d.jpg

Cornellites fasculata bivalve

:wub:  Superb detail

Looks like you had fun

'Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.'

George Santayana

Nice finds!  I especially like the gastropod-crinoid holdfast association - it's a beauty!

2 hours ago, hemipristis said:

:wub:  Superb detail

Looks like you had fun

I'm just getting started with sorting, too. here's a triolobite roller popper in there somewhere. We visited several sites that weekend, then ran off to South Dakota for more. It'll be months before I work my way through all of this year's expeditions!

• 4 years later...