Petrified Wood Finds Today

Rsmull

Went hunting in a creek here in Eastern NC off of the Tar river. Found these beautiful pieces of pet wood.

The long narrow log is 53"x 7". The heavier piece is 51" x 16" post-1344-12564249021007_thumb.jpg

Are you kidding me?! That's pretty much fantabulous!

Any idea as to their age?

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Are you kidding me?! That's pretty much fantabulous!

Any idea as to their age?

I have no idea how old but it sure looks like a piece of cedar

Looks great...but can it keep you warm in winter??? :P

Not bad at all...

Be true to the reality you create.

I haven't quite figured out how to post my photos directly to the topic so that you can see them without having to click on the photo and also still not able to upload too many pics because my files are too large so I have posted the pics in my gallery

Very nice specimen, something that would be considered a show piece even by museum standards. Definitely Grade A.

Wow! Very nice piece. I've seen something similar at old timer rock shops but never thought they could still be found. How hard was it to get home?

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

Went hunting in a creek here in Eastern NC off of the Tar river. Found these beautiful pieces of pet wood.

The long narrow log is 53"x 7". The heavier piece is 51" x 16" post-1344-12564249021007_thumb.jpg

Are those insect holes I see in there or was that done by birds? :wub:

The soul of a Fossil Hunter is one that is seeking, always.

Wow! Very nice piece. I've seen something similar at old timer rock shops but never thought they could still be found. How hard was it to get home?

Hey Shamalama, I actually tripped over the 53" long peice, thought it was a log. Almost left it until I poke it with my shovel and realized what it was. It was in about 3 feet of water and covered with algae. I was able to drag it up stream about 400m with a strap then I had to carry it up a 40ft path to my car. It was tough and back breaking.

Archived