Praire du chein group i.d.

dalmayshun

Once again this summer I was able to do a bit of fossil hunting on the edge of a quarry between Shawano, WI and Green Bay. I believe it is Praire du chein, but it could possible be St Peter. At any rate, these three fossils were all found in the same stone, which i believe is dolomite, from approximately 50 feet lower than the surface. (Though not this stone, I found another nearby, that was dolomite with a 2"thick layer of what I would call mudstone, easily broken off in sheets...it contained small         as well as small braciapods..a really interesting stone...I had my loop with me, and so looked through the material as i flaked it off the hard dolomite underneath...talk about an intriguing hour. It was really cool to see all the bits and pieces that were in that mudstone. But I didn't have my camera along, so have no photos, only my memory) Getting back to the I,D.s   I am curious as to what the deep curled creature might be, and if anyone can tell, or suggest the name of an orthocone for the other two images...They were all on the sides of a boulder easily weighing 1000 pounds. Thanks for any suggestions. Just curious because I hunt in that area alot. BTW...often it is stated that northern wisconsin doesn't have any fossils...that is simply untrue....granted many are ot found on the surface having been scraped away by the glaciers, but there are plenty in the bedrock if one has an opportunity to explore a quarry, as I was able to do.. 

20190605_134612-picsay.jpg

20190605_134518-picsay.jpg

20190605_134438-picsay.jpg

• 2 months later...

I'd say the first one is definitely a gastropod imprint. The second one might be a section of crinoid column. Last one might be a straight-shelled cephalopod.

1 hour ago, Bob Clouser said:

I'd say the first one is definitely a gastropod imprint. The second one might be a section of crinoid column. Last one might be a straight-shelled cephalopod.

Agreed.

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!