A super cool addition to our programs- A Pterosaur BONE !!

fossilsonwheels

I am pretty much giddy right now because we were able to make a significant addition to our program. We are acquiring a partial Pterosaur wing bone from the Niobrara Chalk. It was sold as a Pteranodon which is what we will go with for the program though the actual ID is probably more accurately stated as Pterosaur indet. What makes this important to us is this gives us something other than a few small Kem Kem teeth to represent Pterosaurs in our programs and this also gives us another touch fossil that kids will really love. As we learned last spring, kids love Pterosaurs and it is q shock to many of them when we tell them that they were not dinosaurs. I think getting to touch a real Pterosaur wing bone will offset that shock quite a bit.

This is also a huge fossil for us in that it helps us add to a section of the 4th grade Dinosaur program that we recently decided to add. We want to spend a little time on the Western Interior Seaway. It helps us paint a more accurate picture of what the US looked like at that time and helps us give a more in-depth record of what non-dinosaur creatures ruled the sea and sky when dinos ruled the land.

So here it is, a partial 12" section of Pterosaur wing from Cretaceous Kansas :)

Pteranodon wing bone (4 of 5).jpg

• I found this Informative 9

That's awesome, the kids are gonna love that!

Wish i'd had that kinda stuff to interact with so closely as a kid.

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/26/2019 at 11:14 AM, roostarr said:

That's awesome, the kids are gonna love that!

Wish i'd had that kinda stuff to interact with so closely as a kid.

Thank you. I think they will love it and it gives us an opportunity to expand the education !!

Congrats! These things aren't easy to acquire

• I found this Informative 1

Looking forward to meeting my fellow Singaporean collectors! Do PM me if you are a Singaporean, or an overseas fossil-collector coming here for a holiday!

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/17/2019 at 9:03 PM, -Andy- said:

Congrats! These things aren't easy to acquire

Thank you Andy. I was pretty excited and it really wasn’t too expensive at all

Very cool! :) 

Nice acquisition. 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

1 hour ago, Fossildude19 said:

Very cool! :) 

Nice acquisition. 

Thank you Tim. I really think the kids will love this one !

That will wow the kids indeed. Do you have a Pterosaur model/toy to show with the  bone ?

Just a teaser I working on a just fun art project but we are not in the making part of it yet. When we started it and can show the idea I think you maybe interested in making one yourself.

Nice addition to the program! I’m a big kid so I’ll admit what we all are thinking... I am jealous! I want to see and touch it too! :envy:

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)

11 hours ago, Bobby Rico said:

That will wow the kids indeed. Do you have a Pterosaur model/toy to show with the  bone ?

Just a teaser I working on a just fun art project but we are not in the making part of it yet. When we started it and can show the idea I think you maybe interested in making one yourself.

My son is working on a life reconstruction of a Pteranodon as that is what are going with as far as a species. I told him to put it at the top of the list of his art projects. I would love to see your project too. Going forward I think Pterosaurs will become a significant part of our programs so any thing we can add to what we do, I am interested in !

5 hours ago, FossilNerd said:

Nice addition to the program! I’m a big kid so I’ll admit what we all are thinking... I am jealous! I want to see and touch it too! :envy:

I will admit to petting this bone more than others we have lol It is such a cool piece and it has a cool texture. It is really fragile too so it has its own display case.