Fossil Bone or Wood

CrownJewel

Went on a hunt yesterday along the San Jacinto River. Found some of the coolest pieces so far but I’m puzzled about one piece in particular. Is this just a piece of agatized wood or possibly bone? 

A1E3E8C2-AED8-44CF-974B-C8CA795C802A.thumb.jpeg.be64aa34f9f8fb5276658bcfb10acd4b.jpeg

• I found this Informative 1

To add, if you could show us pictures of the ends that would help as both wood and bone will show more of their diagnostic details from those angles. 

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

I apologize for lack of pictures! Im

new to the site and was having trouble downloading more. 

Would it benefit me to go ahead and cut an end piece? Try and get a definitive answer that way?

image.jpg

image.jpg

So I decided to do an end cut! Here’s the result. What do y’all think? I’m still going back and fourth between which it could be. 

I appreciate any help! 

487CADFD-0882-4A0D-B231-E6981F2B1A47.jpeg

Possibly wood that was decomposed to the point that the structure was not preserved, but I can't say it with any confidence.

Thank you Rockwood! I’m right there with you. I collect a lot of petrified wood from my area and have never run across a piece as such! 

37 minutes ago, CrownJewel said:

Thank you Rockwood! I’m right there with you. I collect a lot of petrified wood from my area and have never run across a piece as such! 

Here is a piece I bought in South Dakota. The owner of the shop seemed fairly confident that it's what this represents.

IMG_5043 (2).JPG

IMG_5044 (2).JPG