Unknown Caloosahatchee Shell Bed Tooth

Pool Man

Hello all! Found this strange tooth today. Its was on the surface ,so no way to tell from where in the shell/clay layer it came from.This layer spans the Plio-Pliestocene.The tooth is not whole, but no idea how much is missing.

Thanks for looking!

post-148-1256428314347_thumb.jpg post-148-12564283210261_thumb.jpg

post-148-12564283290282_thumb.jpg post-148-12564283357552_thumb.jpg

Edited by Pool Man

Poolman , looks like a baby Mammoth tooth or a pig tooth but I am thinking more Mammoth?

post-23-12564301124601_thumb.jpg

post-23-12564301363084_thumb.jpg

Edited by worthy 55

It's my bone!!!

Wow!! that is awesome.

" We're all puppets, I'm just a puppet who can see the strings. "

It looks very similar to a desmostylian tooth - at least all the different cones/columns. Then again, proboscideans and desmostylians are all very closely related.

Bobby

If you don't enter this in Find of the Month, I will!

It looks very similar to a desmostylian tooth - at least all the different cones/columns. Then again, proboscideans and desmostylians are all very closely related.

Bobby

The gross similarities are striking; Desmostylus was the first thing I Googled for comparison. A year ago I had never heard of it, and now I not only recognize similarities, I remembered the name; such is the power of the Forum! ('Course, I didn't know what a Mammoth milk-tooth looked like, but I do now).

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Very nice! If you would like to donate it it to a crazy disabled old man who loves fossil mammal teeth I can send you his address :);):D

Wern't pigs introduced to the "new world" by the spanish? Were there prehistoric pigs in FL back in the day?

Nope! different tipe of Peccaries were running along in prehistoric fields, all along North and south America...

Very nice! If you would like to donate it it to a crazy disabled old man who loves fossil mammal teeth I can send you his address :);):D

Now there's an idea! FOTM winners should be curated by the Forum for posterity, and what better repository than Gatorman's "museum"?

<did I just kill the contest?>

"There has been an alarming increase in the number of things I know nothing about." - Ashleigh Ellwood Brilliant

“Try to learn something about everything and everything about something.” - Thomas Henry Huxley

>Paleontology is an evolving science.

>May your wonders never cease!

Thanks for all the replys every one! I did post this in FOTM.

I think this fossil falls into the "from my cold dead hand" group. :crazysmile:

Here are some pictures I found of a baby mammoth tooth. B)B)B):)

There is also a nice photo of a baby mammoth tooth in the May 2009 issue of National Geographic (baby mammoth on the cover). I think someone brought up baby mammoths elsewhere on the site.