Shell fossil close to Austin

El_Hueso

Howdy everyone! First time poster, long time lurker and I finally decided to start sharing some of my finds with you guys and hopefully gain a little more knowledge in this little hobby of mine.

I found this while hiking a river close to McKinney Falls and Austin. Fossil was found laying directly in the water, close to shore and slightly obscured by mud. I tried to take some clear pictures and would like to know if anyone can help in identifying it. Thanks you guys!

EAFE8FCB-9081-438E-A580-893BF2A8099A.jpeg

4CE6F143-966A-4963-A1A3-78CC9118D8D5.jpeg

137F5910-0362-4BF2-8DF4-B29DCD3A1094.jpeg

DA076592-B465-4083-877F-DD06FE213A97.jpeg

Welcome to the Forum.

It is a Cretaceous bivalve: Exogyra erraticostata because of the wavy frills. It is a close relative of a Exogyra ponderosa which does not have wavy frills.

• I found this Informative 2

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

9 minutes ago, DPS Ammonite said:

Welcome to the Forum.

It is a Cretaceous bivalve: Exogyra erraticostata because of the wavy frills. It is a close relative of a Exogyra ponderosa which does not have wavy frills.

Thank you so much. Was not expecting a response that fast. Im also glad you mentioned it was a Cretaceous specimen. Im trying to do my own studying of geological maps of Texas but was not sure if that was correct.

I don’t want to litter the forum too much, but here is another fossil from the same area but on a different trip. This one does not have the wavy frills at all.

966366F5-E097-48EE-9DCB-FE1E7E56ED90.jpeg

EF8A8870-349D-4B4C-8C6D-A1AAF2772E62.jpeg

51E25430-FD5A-4488-BC83-A502D56C6697.jpeg

FE0D9F56-B93F-4852-83A5-DB330E9BA27C.jpeg

It is a Pectin, genus and species unknown. If you know the formation then it might be better identified. 

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

5 hours ago, DPS Ammonite said:

It is a Pectin, genus and species unknown. If you know the formation then it might be better identified. 

Looks like (according to this map) that the Ozan Formation is prevalent near McKinney Falls. 

Capture.JPG

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Pecten, not pectin. 

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

18 minutes ago, Mark Kmiecik said:

Pecten, not pectin. 

Well maybe he is planning on making Fossil Jelly! ;)

1 hour ago, Mark Kmiecik said:

Pecten, not pectin. 

I use the term “pectin” as an abbreviated form of the Pectinoidea order and the Pectinacea family. “Pecten” is a specific genus in above ranks. Scallop is more or less a synonym of pectin. For example, Neithea, a common Texas Cretaceous bivalve, is a pectin but not a pecten.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scallop

I have not seen a similar pectin from the North Sulphur River area (also Ozan Fm) or in the literature for Cretaceous pectins. Maybe a local Texan can help us ID the fossil.

@caldigger

You all are so extremely helpful. I very much appreciative of  all the information that you offer. That map with the geological region is definitely going to be saved!

Next time I go on an outing I will try to be better about taking photos of the sediment where I find specimens, if it helps you all :)