Jump to content
PaleoNoel

Hunting North Dakota's Hell Creek- 7/24-26

Recommended Posts

PaleoNoel

Hi everyone, I missed the updates for the last three days so here they are. 

I spent the last 3 days of the week fossil hunting the Hell Creek badlands of North Dakota- In those 3 days I found some of the best fossils in my collection so far.

Wednesday was somewhat overcast which kept the exposures from being too hot. I spent the morning working a microsite with a few other people. My best finds here included a nice quality croc tooth, a likely bird bone and a bowfin jaw. Unfortunately the finds started to fizzle out after about an hour. The rest of the day was spent prospecting a wide open area which provided very little for fossil finds, the best being a croc vert. 

Here are the pics from Wednesday-

IMG_4345.JPG.9787ea25e2b1b22d06b46b5eac528713.JPG

Bowfin jaw section

IMG_4346.JPG.041066d4e13f9218cc01e1ba2a1cf9ed.JPG

Croc tooth

IMG_4348.JPG.a7d9da981c0672edf7f92c6f818cc94f.JPG

Likely a toe or limb bone

IMG_4350.JPG.8f59561c09461c63445ed97e2475aeaa.JPG

A view of the microsite

IMG_4352.jpg.5275597e177db98be39aaded4cefc9b3.jpg

A croc vert

IMG_4354.JPG.9d9355b01d57b5a03903754b678d0eca.JPG

A view of the area we prospected

IMG_4355.jpg.6ce901065e7fc9dccb4d30d4b9832cd3.jpg

A rattlesnake in a burrow which I spotted at just the right time. I was moving closer to look at a large shed snake skin and saw this guy in a hole underneath the grass, he didn't rattle at me either which makes this a lucky encounter. (I didn't this close with my camera, I only zoomed in with it).

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Troodon

Looks like ND has been good to you.  Nice photos...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Brett Breakin' Rocks
10 hours ago, PaleoNoel said:

enjoy reading and viewing my updates, stay tuned and wish me luck for my week in the Judith River formation in Montana.

Oh man oh man .... not anything in my wheelhouse of expertise but definitely on my bucket list. This has been one of the best threads. 

 

Thank you and good luck !

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
digit

Very cool! Thanks for taking us along on the hunt.

 

:envy:

 

Cheers.

 

-Ken

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Darktooth

Great finds! I have been putting some thought into taking my family on one of these excursions. I think my boys would really love it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mark Kmiecik

Thanks. I enjoyed the ride.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
deutscheben

Whoah, what a bunch of great finds! Thanks for sharing. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
PaleoNoel
13 hours ago, Troodon said:

Looks like ND has been good to you.  Nice photos...

Absolutely, this has been one of my best weeks fossil hunting.

8 hours ago, Brett Breakin' Rocks said:

Oh man oh man .... not anything in my wheelhouse of expertise but definitely on my bucket list. This has been one of the best threads. 

Thank you and good luck !

 

8 hours ago, digit said:

Very cool! Thanks for taking us along on the hunt.

Cheers.

-Ken

 

 

1 hour ago, deutscheben said:

Whoah, what a bunch of great finds! Thanks for sharing. 

 

1 hour ago, Mark Kmiecik said:

Thanks. I enjoyed the ride.

Thanks everyone! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
PaleoNoel
7 hours ago, Darktooth said:

Great finds! I have been putting some thought into taking my family on one of these excursions. I think my boys would really love it.

You absolutely should, I highly recommend it! Spots for paleoprospectors next summer are quickly being taken up so if you want to sign up you should do that soon, additionally there is a $250 discount per person per week if you sign up by August.

Their website is https://www.paleoprospectors.com/

Hope to see you out there!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Darktooth
32 minutes ago, PaleoNoel said:

You absolutely should, I highly recommend it! Spots for paleoprospectors next summer are quickly being taken up so if you want to sign up you should do that soon, additionally there is a $250 discount per person per week if you sign up by August.

Their website is https://www.paleoprospectors.com/

Hope to see you out there!

Thanks for the info!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×