Please Help! Possible Fossil Vertebra or Coral?

Chloe

Hi everyone! I am new here & new to fossil hunting. I recently gravitated towards this & threw it in my backpack on a hike near the Vermillion River in Hastings MN. Upon cleaning it up, I immediately thought it was part of a vertebra due to the shape but I thought it could also be some type of coral. Would love some feedback! Thanks!! 

20190727_144623.jpg

20190727_144631.jpg

Welcome to the Forum. :)

It does look like bone, but I wonder if it is modern. 

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

Thanks Kane!

I have found lots of bone down there. There isnt much wildlife in the area aside from deer & this seems too large to be from a deer. Then again, I have no idea! It is lighter weight than rocks of similar size in the area which is why I knew it was "something". Haha! I also found a piece of what I believe to be a tusk in the same area but I am a little unsure of that too.

20190723_090653.jpg

20190723_091448.jpg

I would say that one is a tooth (from what, I’m not sure :D). One way of testing modern versus fossil bone is to try the burn test: apply a flame to a small area, and if it gives off a smell like burnt hair, it means there is collagen present, which would mean it is modern and not fossilized.

• I found this Informative 4

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

How cool! I really appreciate the help. It has been driving me crazy not knowing what the stuff I am finding is. I'm so glad I found this forum! Many thanks!

I just tried the "burn test". Smelled a little mossy but there was moss on it...otherwise no smell. Tested another one I have that I know is modern to get an idea of the smell. Definitely burnt hair on that one. So whatever this is, its pretty old!!

Looks like something has been gnawing on the first piece.

I'm not sure it's helpful in any way as to the age or identification of it though.

Hi Sacha! That very well could be! There are certainly no horses in the area now but who knows about many years ago!

And yes Rockwood, its neat but hard to tell what it is or the age of it! 

Thank you!

More photos of the first item would be helpful. 

Cropped and brightened: 

20190727_144631.jpg.0b50e1579438bd5298fe53d5c249a5e3.jpg

Take photos with item on a flat surface. Daylight is preferable. 

Take photos looking at the item straight down from above. 

Front, back, right side, left side, top, and bottom. 

• I found this Informative 1

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

I'll try to get these to upload! We dont have a ton of daylight here but hopefully this helps! Thank you!

20190728_104915.jpg

Certainly looks chewed upon.  I get more of a joint bone ( ankle? ) feeling from this more than vert.

• I found this Informative 2

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

Its definitely something broken apart & chewed on. Wish I had the slightest clue what it came from! I just like the odd shape. Now that you mention it, that spoon shape does look like a joint socket! Thanks!

1 hour ago, caldigger said:

Certainly looks chewed upon.  I get more of a joint bone ( ankle? ) feeling from this more than vert.

I agree. Unless it is a very mangled corner of a vert.

• I found this Informative 1

On The Hunt For The Trophy Otodus!