Dino egg-real or fake?

Aaron Livingston

Hello everyone! I’m Aaron and I’m new here. I just purchased an egg online. I then started reading about how many fakes there are and now I’m very worried. Can anyone give me the skinny on whether it’s real or not? It’s coming from Malaysia and claims to have been part of a private Japanese collection prior to the 80s. I appreciate all your input, thanks!

6AE38603-F5F5-4CE4-A7EF-3289E2B5886F.thumb.png.6aab2a43cb7860956e8ae06199de8030.png   025CE7AA-DEAA-47F0-8479-308A25186281.thumb.png.2363a38ed4f3a03c95be83b9dd7d534e.png

Wow I've never seen a salami shaped dinosaur egg but need to see how wide it is, looks narrow from these images.  The photos are not adequate to say much other than it might be two composited  halves.  More photos would confirm that or identify if its real.  Where is the egg from and size? The asian source definitely gives me a concern. 

It’s coming from Malaysia and was supposed to be of a pre 80s collection in Japan. It’s a 13” Tarbosaurus egg from the Djadokhta Formation of Mongolia.

I don't think there are any definite confirmed Tarbosaurus eggs known, period.

The egg does look quite large though, and very elongate. But better photos are needed to make a proper judgement on if it's real or possibly a composite or a cast. And even with really good photos it can sometimes be impossible to tell. Seeing a fossil in person is always the best for judging something.

But yeah, please post some photos in good light from different angles. Some closeups will also definitely help.

Olof Moleman AKA Lord Trilobite

Okay, when the egg arrives I’ll take some pics including better closeups and post them. Thanks for the info.

Do you have the option of returning it if it is found to not be genuine? The paleo department at your local natural history museum can probably be of assistance, and a hands-on examination is always preferred to one by photo except in the case of an obvious fake or the case of a person not familiar with this kind of specimen doing the hands-on. In other words, make sure whoever makes the ID has the credentials to back the identification.

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

It’s from a seller on online and I believe there is a return process but it says it’s too early for that when I tried to click on that. Apparently it’s in the process of being shipped. Spent $650 on it.

I would be very concerned of this egg for reasons discussed in this thread. Post close ups when it’s delivered. You also paid a quarter of what eggs like this typically go for...

Hi and welcome Aaron, sadly I have to agree with the others but once it arrives, please post detailed pictures.

On 7/28/2019 at 1:13 PM, Aaron Livingston said:

It’s coming from Malaysia and was supposed to be of a pre 80s collection in Japan. It’s a 13” Tarbosaurus egg from the Djadokhta Formation of Mongolia.

On the chance it is real, feel free to read this post I just made about "Tarbosaurus eggs" which is a common yet incorrect ID.