Syracuse Gem & Mineral Society Field Trip to DSR & Briggs Road.

Darktooth

Yesterday I had the pleasure of leading my local club on a visit to Deep Springs Road and Biggs Road. There was a total of 19 members, which included myself and my 2 youngest boys. We met up at our club house at 8 am. I was surprised  by the turnout as not many individuals actually got in touch with me to confirm wether they were coming or not, as I had asked. We drove our caravan of 10 vechles to the site without any members getting separated from the herd!:default_clap2:  we arrived at DSR about 9:30. I was surprised  to see someone there. There was a gentleman who I asked if he happened to be a forum member. He said no, but he has been on the forum browsing. He introduced himself and showed me some Greenops bits and pieces that he had found. He didnt stay very long after we got there even though he stated that he hoped others would be there as he had never hunted this site before. Anyways, after I gave a brief overview of my experience with this site, everyone for a spot, and settled in for some hunting. This group consisted of a few oldtimers, some with intermediate skills, and some newbies. I went into this with the notion that I wouldnt be keeping my finds unless it was something spectacular. So I gave away just about everything I found. One almost complete Greenops, and an nearly complete  cephalopod were my finds of the day. The cephalopod was poorly preserved but approximately 7 inches long. Unfortunately I didnt think about pics before I gave them away. Pics were the last thing on my mind as the heat was intense. That was the only downfall of this hunt. Everyone was trying to find any scrap of shade they could find to get a reprieve from the heat. That being said, it did seem that most everybody was enjoying finding the various. Brachs, bivalves, gastros, etc...that DSR has to offer. After a couple hours I made the suggestion of heading over to Briggs. The group all seemed ok with hunting another spot that none had been to before. I told them that the prospect of finding plenty of Eldregeops parts and pieces was high there so they were more than happy to try it out. Once we arrived at Briggs I set up a canopy that I had brought in case we needed shade. DSR atleast has some, Briggs none at all. Just about everyone found trilo bits there. We stayed until about 2 and then decided to call it a Day. I will try to get some pics of the few items that my and my boys brought back but I am having trouble with my phones camera. It seems that my pic files are always too big and most times resizing or cropping still does not bring the file size down to the proper size limit. Anyhow, it was a great day despite the heat. It was also nice to help out my club by showing them a couple new sites. Somebody asked if I would become the new fieldtrip coordinator for the club. I dont know, we'll have to see.......

• I found this Informative 3

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg          MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

I went to DSR and Briggs today. I didn’t find much at DSR but Dr. Dave found a complete dipleura!!!! It’s a really nice one. I found a very large dipleura partial at Briggs. 

• I found this Informative 1

3 minutes ago, Al Tahan said:

I went to DSR and Briggs today. I didn’t find much at DSR but Dr. Dave found a complete dipleura!!!! It’s a really nice one. I found a very large dipleura partial at Briggs. 

I hope he will post a pic!:fingerscrossed:

46 minutes ago, DrDave said:

7DD9E746-221A-4CB9-B7A3-5ED4EA11041B.jpeg

About 3-4 cm length 

Nice one Dave!