Dino eggs Real or Fake

I am in the market to buy some dinosaur eggs and want to make sure these are real before buying them. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you all in advance! I can get more/better pictures if needed.

IMG_1511.jpeg.ee8d746d1577d4f34b4bfe94defe9a7a.jpegIMG_1508.jpeg.ed45ec9777c1c3f2e9d0270312b55837.jpegIMG_1507.jpeg.b6bbc286effdad08bdb2dfbd2b2876d1.jpeg58602793922__1AB465FB-D149-4CF6-80A6-382866E6DAB3.jpeg.509ee184a756b35da4f7bb55632447e5.jpeg

• I found this Informative 1

Are you buying these out of somebody's car?!

"Psst! Hey buddy, you wanna buy some dino eggs?"

If these are all real, they are some nice looking specimens.  I favor the last one. 

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

Ha! Kind of, he had these in his car and asked if we wanted to see them. So I snapped some pictures and started investigating. 

The last one is claimed to be a T Rex egg

Edited by ParkerS16

1 hour ago, ParkerS16 said:

Its either a dino egg or a really old loaf of sourdough. :D

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

Top and bottom one look real but really like to see more photos before you spend any money.  Bad lighting on the two middle photos to see detail and make a comment.  Like to see bottom but matrix looks good

14 minutes ago, Troodon said:

Top and bottom one look real but really like to see more photos before you spend any money.  Bad lighting on the two middle photos to see detail and make a comment.  Like to see bottom but matrix looks good

I will ask for better photos

16 minutes ago, ParkerS16 said:

I will ask for better photos

All sides and some closeups of the shell material

3 hours ago, ParkerS16 said:

Ha! Kind of, he had these in his car and asked if we wanted to see them. So I snapped some pictures and started investigating. 

It would be the first Rex egg ever discovered!  Looks more like a typical and large oviraptor egg. Agree with Troodon better images with close ups of the shell would help a great deal in determining the authenticity of these particular eggs.

21 hours ago, bcfossilcollector said:

It would be the first Rex egg ever discovered!

Yup. Only one T-Rex footprint has ever been found, and footprints outnumber eggs. No dino ever produced as many eggs as it did footprints.

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

The therizinosaur nest looks good. The hadrosaur appears to be authentic but need more close ups to tell for sure but I’m leaning towards it being real. The large raptor egg (not a t-Rex) looks like a composite, specifically where that diagonal cut is at the top of the egg. Would need better pictures to tell for sure. 

15 hours ago, HamptonsDoc said:

The therizinosaur nest looks good. The hadrosaur appears to be authentic but need more close ups to tell for sure but I’m leaning towards it being real. The large raptor egg (not a t-Rex) looks like a composite, specifically where that diagonal cut is at the top of the egg. Would need better pictures to tell for sure. 

This morning I received these pictures 

file.jpeg.cae2dc026719d51c9cd305acc34d42e0.jpegfile1.jpeg.713554615c63f281b9f4f96a1846248f.jpegfile2.jpeg.b762314ab52094e5863b4de4e149be04.jpegfile5.jpeg.fdd6297c96ef4f98609df5db57894f23.jpegfile8.jpeg.00a4a13ca46eb12dc798b979292519dc.jpegIMG_1799.jpeg.cc096c4735a2fa91c64a297555036fa7.jpegIMG_1800.jpeg.a5f8e81b84adbb8720e38b80e95be1d5.jpegfile3.jpeg.64cdbf88b093b7ab9f989dff3b4b41bd.jpeg

file6.jpeg

file7.jpeg

file4.jpeg

Edited by ParkerS16
  • I found this Informative 4

All look very real and very nice! I do not think the very large oviraptor egg is composite after seeing these pictures. I would jump on all of these as it would be difficult to find better eggs. These are as good as they come, especially for that size of a raptor egg. You hit the jackpot with these!!

On 7/28/2019 at 2:19 PM, ParkerS16 said:

Welcome, and I agree with the others. Eggs typically cannot be linked with the dino who laid them, so they have their own naming scheme. The eggs in your first post, the upper left pic which is a clutch of 4, appear to be either dendroolithus or dictyoolithus. We do not currently have any eggs known from T rex or even the larger family of Tyrannosaurids. The last egg, lower right, in your initial post appears to be macroelongatoolithus, see below for a bit of info on it.

On 2/9/2019 at 2:49 PM, CBchiefski said:

A common incorrect identification nowadays is that of “Tarbosaurus eggs.” Tarbosaurus is very similar to Tyrannosaurus rex, however, it lived in Asia. Among the largest of eggs ever found, were two measuring 11 cm (4.3 in) wide and an amazing 60 cm (24 in) long. The elongated shape meant they were probably from a large theropod and so were thought to be from Tarbosaurus. Scientifically these eggs are the oogenus macroelongatoolithus. Based on detailed analysis, these eggs most likely are from a large oviraptor and not Tarbosaurus.

Hard to say on the other eggs with so will not make any attempt on an ID for those. If you can provide a detailed close up of the shell and any potential cross section, I might be able to give the egg type, or at least the larger oofamily. Hope this helps some and as the others said, nice eggs! 

15 hours ago, HamptonsDoc said:

All look very real and very nice! I do not think the very large oviraptor egg is composite after seeing these pictures. I would jump on all of these as it would be difficult to find better eggs. These are as good as they come, especially for that size of a raptor egg. You hit the jackpot with these!!

Totally agree!

I missed this post somehow.   They all look good to me and I would go by what these guys say.  Im too scared to buy any but thats me.  

RB

The eggs look good to me, especially the Therizinosaurus nest

Looking forward to meeting my fellow Singaporean collectors! Do PM me if you are a Singaporean, or an overseas fossil-collector coming here for a holiday!

On 8/4/2019 at 7:12 AM, HamptonsDoc said:

So @ParkerS16 what did you end up purchasing? I hope all of them!!

Yes I did! I am hoping i didn’t pay too much though. Hard to tell. I am now seeking buy the rest of their collection of eggs as well! 

Edited by ParkerS16

Just a short reminder: be sure that those ones are legal - china and mongolia has forbidden any export....