Real or fake? Unidentified Moroccan Trilobite purchased in UK

I-am-the-eggman

So I bought this Trilobite from what seemed to be a very reliable place, although no information was given about the species or age of the fossil, just that it came from Morocco. I’m new to fossil hunting and by no means am an expert however I heard that Moroccan Trilobites have a habit of being fake. I myself am fairly convinced it’s real, due to the fact it’s quite detailed, however as I say I’m no expert so it would be good to have someones input. If more pictures are needed please let me know. Also if you know what classification it is I’d like to know that too.

5A69CF8D-769E-4F05-A1B0-438EE2EFC8BD.jpeg

Edited by I-am-the-eggman

This is a Devonian phacopid, and they are quite common (and thus not really worth faking). As for genus and species, we might need to see detailed images of the eye lenses to do a file count. But, yes, this one is likely authentic. :) 

• I found this Informative 1

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

Nice, thanks. It is difficult for me to get a detailed photo with just an IPhone but this may be useful - 

6432AAC7-A06A-460F-8B44-C8A1396992CE.jpeg

Perhaps the other eye without the dings might be diagnostically clearer? You might be able to do a file count with a 10x loupe (the vertical columns of lenses). What I had in mind was this:

1-s2.0-S0012825205000048-gr1.jpg

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

19 minutes ago, Kane said:

Perhaps the other eye without the dings might be diagnostically clearer? You might be able to do a file count with a 10x loupe (the vertical columns of lenses). What I had in mind was this:

1-s2.0-S0012825205000048-gr1.jpg

Ok so I think I’ve finally got some more detailed pictures, not sure if I can do better than these. Even the other eye is a little bumped up but I hope these help.  Even if an exact ID isn’t possible so long as it’s authentic then I’m happy. I must admit as a layman those diagrams do fly over my head a little bit XD. Thanks for your help anyhow.

F369A0E8-B9BD-4EAA-8BF5-CF9100CEEB51.jpeg

980EBAC8-AB3B-4ED3-AE6B-0AAB2F6B9CC6.jpeg

Some of the ones I've bought that were really poorly prepped have been painted to conceal an even worse prep job than meets the eye. Usually a quick run under water is enough to tell since cheap paint is often used (i.e. not acrylic).